please..anyone help answer ...i need more memory for my puter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please..anyone help answer ...i need more memory for my puter

is there anyway i can do it without getting anyone in to do it:o,as money is short....thankyou brenda xxx

Hi Brenda,

There have been some threads on this.

Put "virtual memory" in the search box on the computer section and see if any of that helps.

Carol

Comment

Brenmac, it is not as simple as i need more memory.

What you first need to know is what type of memory you already have installed.
      How much of it you have
      And can your motherboard take more memory modules.

Use the Crucial website to scan your PC and advise you on the memory type you have.

Then post your result to me in a PM
      Trev

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

760GXK8MC Motherboard .
        We were not able to determine the manufacturer and/or model of your PC, but we were able to complete our scan with information from
        this is what it said..............it was my grandson who said i havent much memory as my coputer is running slow how can i find out how much i have?

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
          760GXK8MC Motherboard .
          We were not able to determine the manufacturer and/or model of your PC, but we were able to complete our scan with information from
          this is what it said..............it was my grandson who said i havent much memory as my coputer is running slow how can i find out how much i have?
          The scan should have told you, but as I said before, you still need to know the TYPE and not just how much is installed.

Right-click on your 'My Computer' Icon on the desktop
          On the General Tab, it will say how much memory is installed in MB.

But you need to know if it is SDRAM; DDR-RAM, DDR2-RAM etc which the scan should have informed you.

AND... you need to take the panel off your PC to see how many memory slots you have used/have left.

Replacing RAM is easy, but only if you know what you have and need in regards to amount and type.

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

If you have XP

go into Start, control panel, system, it should default to general tab and hopefully will tell you there what your RAM is on the machine.

How old is your machine? If it is still on Xp, or anythng lower, then it is not possible to upgrade your RAM to more than 2Gb. If you've never upgraded and it's about 4 years old, it might have 1Gb, more likely to be 512Kb, so yeah, it will be struggling with the animated whizz bang pages that are on the Internet.

Have you ever defragged it, or run CCleaner to help remove some of the dross that accumulates? Doing both of these can go some way towards improving system performance as well.

Comment

it is 3 years oldd it says
              amd sempron(tm)processer 2800x 1.60ghz 224 mb of ram physical ad ext

if you can understand that brenda xxx

Comment

Well 224Mb of RAM seems very underpowered, even for 3 years ago.

Go back to the crucial.com website, and you will see on the right hand side that you can input details manually, rather than let the system scan for you.

Tell them your make/manufacturer of your computer, the model type (manufacturers don't just make one desktop or laptop, there are differing ranges and these get revamped and upgraded) and finally the model number.

You should then get a window on the left hand side telling you how many memory slots you have and what is in them, and maybe what is suitable so you can upgrade. I would think DDR, but without knowing your PC details, I wouldn't say for definite.

It also depends on what your motherboard is capable of supporting - there are many different variations of RAM chips out there - it's like going to the shoe shop and saying you want a pair of shoes if you see the analogy.

Have been on Google to have a look for your motherboard. You will have a pair of slots for your RAM, and it is upgradeable, hopefully enough for you to see the difference.
                If you are going to DIY, then follow the link to the manual, which shows you how to do various upgrades. Most of it may well be written in Chinese for the sense you will make of it if you are not techie, but the RAM section shows you a layout of the m/board, what you are looking for when inside, and how to fit the chips in the slot. You also need to make sure you have switched off your PC before attempting this work, and also unplugged it. You will also need to discharge any static electricity on yourself, as you can fry the chips if you're not careful. Not to put you off, but any job mucking about in the innerds should be taken carefully and slowly.

Manual: Placa-Mãe Foxcon (760GXK8MC-S) (pdf document) free file download at fliiby.com
                Last edited by Wincot kid; 24-08-09, 01:07.

Comment

your loosing me now,i have heard of my printer people as its still playing up,they told me to take a screen shot.it said when error appears press print scan sorry i cant delete now it said printscrn key on the key board i dont know where that is.also my delete button isnt working,whats happening to everything?my computer was made up for my needs so i have no name on it,i had it done at a shop.lol brenda xxxx

Comment

I have looked up the motherboard that you had previously put in one of your first posts '760GXK8MC'

This motherboard has two memory slots
                    And can take two types of DDR RAM (NOT DDR2 or DDR3 which is more modern).
                    DDR PC2700
                    Or
                    DDR PC3200

The 258MB you are running is far too little for the modern requirements of multimedia on websites.

My advice is that:
                    If running XP 1GB (Gigabyte) is enough for your needs
                    If running Vista you need 2GB

This can be in the form of either one GB module placed in one of the RAM slots ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/54265 )
                    or two 512MB modules (one in each slot).
                    Extra Value 512MB DDR PC2700 333MHz 184pin Extra Value RAM - Ebuyer
                    In either case, dispose of the old 258MB module, as you could have compatibility issues with the new RAM.

Video on how you install RAM can be found here

Researching:

Comment

You should also know that if you buy RAM, you should make sure that if buying a pair that they match.
                      It's no good buying one chip and leaving the old one in situ as well. You either need to fit one and remove old, or remove old and fit a pair.

As for print screen, there is a key on a regular keyboard that sits in a block of six, might just say psc or prt scr, above your insert key?
                      If you have an error message that your printer is telling your computer, i.e. on the desktop, then what you need to do is to take a grab/screen shot of that error message (to save you typing it all out). Press the psc button, this puts it on the clipboard (a kind of temporary memory) and then you need to open up Word or Paint if you don't have Word, and click on the paste option. This will then paste the screenshot to a file that you can save.

Comment

Originally posted by Wincot kid View Post
                        You should also know that if you buy RAM, you should make sure that if buying a pair that they match.
                        It's no good buying one chip and leaving the old one in situ as well. You either need to fit one and remove old, or remove old and fit a pair.
                        Did advise the disposal of the old RAM in my post

Researching:

Comment

trevor i darent do it as i would make some mistake,i will have to do with what i have thankyou for all your help,i will save the info just in case.again thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

Bren
                            Can't you take it into the shop that built it for you. I don't think they would charge very much.
                            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

they have gone bankrupt no longer there story of my life brenda xxx

Comment

Brenda

If you can clip a fuse into a plug, you can clip memory onto the motherboard.

All you need to do is firmly press one end, until the white catch locks, then repeat for the other side.

As for protecting from static etc,, as long as you are keeping in contact with the edge of the case (WITH THE POWER OFF), there is no problem.

Trev

Researching:

Comment

im a coward sorry but i do appreciate all your advice and time thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

well picked computer up...

cost an £100.cant get into my emails why?i can get internet exsplorer but not bt or yahoo brenda xxx

rung bt they had to reset my password im now up and running
                                    Last edited by Guest; 07-09-09, 16:47.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I would like to recommend everyone should download "Belarc advisor", it is a small piece of freebie software that will list everything you need to know about your computer on your screen giving model numbers etc. It is an excellent piece of kit to have on your computer even if you do not use it very often, I have absolutely no commercial interest in this product at all, (it is a freebie download) Just passing on a tip given to me,

best regards

Comment

thankyou but after paying a £100 i darent do anything,the man in the shop if it working ok dont down load so thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                                        X