can anyone help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone help me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi
    I am looking for any children or siblings of Thomas Robinson born about 1812 In Ireland.I think it could have been wexford
    I beleive he married a Catherine Summers also born in Ireland.
    Seem to have hit a brick wall with this one
    Regards Joyce

take a look in the wiki, it may help. dont hold your breadth though. irish research is particurly troublesome. even if you can find the county, you still have to find the town. and even if you get that far, most likely, the time frame you want wont have surviving parish records. most records exist from roughly 1820 onwards. do you have any clues for him? census details? childrens names and ages, birthplaces?

Comment

re robinson

Hi Kylejustin
      Thanks for replying The only thing I know he had a son William born in Ireland in 1835
      I will have a go with the Wiki
      Regards Joyce

Comment

Best of luck with your Irish research. I too have an Irish brick wall.

My GGG Grandparents were born in Ireland and I haven't been able to find anything for them at all!:(:(

Only way to research Ireland is to go there in person I think.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I have the same problem with 4 lines - all I have is born Ireland - two of them inconsiderately narrowly missed the 1911 census by dying in 1909 and 1910!!!:(:(

Three of them I have their father's names (from marriage certs) but that doesn't help when you haven't a clue whereabouts in Ireland they could have come from.

My sympathies with anyone with Irish rellies.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

i assume youre a descendant of william? do you have him on the census? did he survive till 1911? they usually give the town or county in 1911, as the householders filled in the forms themselves, whereas every previous census, an enumerator copied the originals and then forwarded those to the government. they usually just wrote 'ireland' pre 1911, im guessing because the enumerators were told to write it, and not put the extra details in.

Comment

Irish research

It's true, searching for Irish roots is quite tricky unless you can go over there yourself, or live in the country, but it's not impossible.

Part of the problem is that the Catholic PRs are often still in the hands of the local church and there's not a huge amount online.

This doesn't solve the Wexford problem, but for anyone who has Dublin ancestry, you might be interested in this website.

Swords Historical Society - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Co. Dublin (North)

I have a lady who married into my family, and I wasn't able to make much headway on her at all until a few months ago. Now I have her father's line back a couple of generations.

Comment

Even if you go over there yourself, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to find anything.

Comment

Working...
                X