PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Clerk Liverpool 1870s-1900

~~Lesley~~
22-08-09, 23:00
One of my ancestors was a commercial clerk in Liverpool in the latter part of the 1800s.

Does anyone have an idea what kind of work it was likely to entail?

Many thanks

Olde Crone Holden
22-08-09, 23:13
Lesley

A commercial clerk did anything which is done by computer today!

Wrote letters,issued invoices, copied documents longhand and so on. Almost every business, even a fairly small family-run business would employ a commercial clerk., to do the written work of the business.

OC

garstonite
22-08-09, 23:49
The chances are a "shipping Clerk " in Liverpool....probably an invetory of items needed on a commercial basis for a trip....allan;)

~~Lesley~~
23-08-09, 00:13
Thank you both for your help.:)

I've always taken for granted that I knew what it meant. However, now that I'm looking back at my tree, I realise that I'm taking a lot for granted and don't know exactly what the job entailed.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of my ancestor's lives and am asking a lot of questions that I should have asked a long time ago.

Again, thanks for all your help

clematised
23-08-09, 00:13
The Cambridge urban history of Britain - Google Books (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1-NFPtHy6IUC&pg=RA1-PA619&lpg=RA1-PA619&dq=commercial+clerk+1900+liverpool&source=bl&ots=irWfL0N0_6&sig=ILaXdVcW9_t8ygTf02QOkw9-2d4&hl=en&ei=HXqQSoWZIcK2jAeO96ngDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false)

A short information article

Edna

garstonite
23-08-09, 00:27
EDNA...I find that incredible.....just read your link....that North Wales had a larger propotion of Urban Labour than Liverpool.....over 5% more....I would have lost money on that......allan:)

~~Lesley~~
23-08-09, 00:36
thank you Edna :) That's really useful. i shall read that thoroughly in the morning.