Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date of Wills

Hi

Basic question which I think I should know the answer to. I'm looking at the Wills on the National Archive site. What are the dates - the dates they were written or the fates that the person died?

Thanks ;)
    :D Charney Jo

Or the Probate date? I forget, too!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It's the Probate date. I just checked for John NULAND, my Gx10-g-father.
      made Will: 6 Mar 1653
      d
      probate: 30 May 1655

It's indexed as 30 May 1655.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ah, thanks so much. That might help narrow down if any are mine :-)!

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
          Hi

Basic question which I think I should know the answer to. I'm looking at the Wills on the National Archive site. What are the dates - the dates they were written or the fates that the person died?

Thanks ;)
          You asked what i was thinking today....

Thankyou Christine
          Jacky

Comment

Makes me feel less silly for asking - thanks :D

Comment

It's certainly not a silly question. Any of the three dates would be a reasonable basis for indexing. I think the reason that they use Probate is that it's the probate copies.

Christine

Comment

Don't narrow it down too much! One of mine had a will probated 15 years after his death. I had dismissed it and it was only when I saw a copy at the county archive I realised it really was mine!

Anne

Comment

Ah, OK Anne - advice taken. Thanks very much all ...

Comment

Working...
                  X