Islington Parish Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islington Parish Church

I wonder if anyone could help me locate which Church was called 'Islington Parish Church' in July 1934.
    My fathers family came from that area for many years and were married in several different churchs, there are also several in close proximity so no clue there.
    I want to find the church he was baptised in, I have the certificate attached below hoping someone recognises it

Thank you

many thanks

Tracey

It's St Mary, Maggie_4_7 took a pic for the Places of Worship

Middlesex Towns and Parishes I - Family Tree Forum

Looks like those trees have grown up a lot since your photo was taken!

Comment

St. Mary´s Church, Islington
      Some more views on this link -
      stmaryislington - Gallery
      Elaine

Comment

Two minds with one thought:D

Comment

Fantastic, thank you very much. Now to check the parish records, hope they will tell me godparents

Thanks

Tracey

Comment

Actually, you've done me a favour, I've got an 1857 marriage that took place at Islington parish church so now I know which one it is too

Comment

It's by the fire station and town hall on Upper St if you ever fancy visiting. I go past it most days but never been in it..

Comment

I went past it with a friend once - and did a "wow, that's St Mary's" as it was where my gt grandparents married in 1865. They lived in Lower Holloway so it wasn't their nearest church.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will go visit, I have taken several photos around there but didn't want to get the wrong one. Why do all these churches use 'Parish Church' when they could use their real name? just another challenge I suppose.

Tracey

Comment

Islington Parish Church

The church in your picture is the parish church of Islington, St Mary's, on Upper Street.

There has been a church on that site for neary 1,000 years. For centuries it was the only church in Islington which is why it was simply referred to as the Islington parish church.

In the 19th century various other churches were built including St Mary Magdalene (Holloway Road), St Stephen's (Canonbury), St Andrew's (Barnsbury), ChristChurch (Highbury) and St John's (Upper Holloway).

More information about the history of St Mary's is available on the church website.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                      It's St Mary, Maggie_4_7 took a pic for the Places of Worship

Middlesex Towns and Parishes I - Family Tree Forum

Looks like those trees have grown up a lot since your photo was taken!
                      Yep they have although it could be the angle I took it I try to keep the POW photos free of people and street furniture.

I walk past it most Saturdays one of my ancestors was married there but that was 1861!

The building you can see to the right lookng at it in that baptism certificate is still there.

The church always seems to be open when I walk past.

Edit to say: there a ruddy bus stop right in front of it now with a bus shelter and people all the time! Also there is some temporary juice bar (thats been there for about 4 years) plonked to the side of it near that building and in front of the church!
                      Last edited by Guest; 23-08-09, 11:12.

Comment

Working...
                      X