Reading a 4Gb SD card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading a 4Gb SD card

I have a laptop using Windows XP and for some time have been downloading my pictures from my camera using a couple of 1Gb SD cards which I load into a PCLine card reader and plug into a USB port.
    Yesterday I decided to use a 'new' 4Gb SD card and I get a message to load the card!! Can anyone suggest a reason why it does not recognise when the 4Gb card is loaded?
    The card works perfectly well in the camera and the 'smaller' cards are still recognised in the reader.
    Am I asking too much of my system or is there something odd about 4Gb cards?

Secure Digital card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is an explanation here about it here ... bit wordy, but it means you will need a new card reader!

Non-HC devices are not programmed to read this code and therefore cannot correctly read the identification of the card. All SDHC readers work with standard SD cards.[15]
    Many older devices will not accept the 2 or 4 GB size even though it is in the revised standard.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline. I was a bit dozy last night and couldn't think straight. Husband said this morning that my reader was a 'cheapie' from PC World and what else could I expect?.......
      I 'borrowed' his multi-card reader this morning and that works OK - perhaps he will agree to share it!

Comment

Glad it worked out in the end. The only reason I knew, was that my daughter had to buy new reader/camera and the biggest possible capacity cards recently, and the man in Jessops warned us!!
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
        X