Cambridgeshire parish records-for Barker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambridgeshire parish records-for Barker

hello everyone!- I have just spent a very interesting morning all over this site-refreshing my memory -it's been awhile since I was here last - You have been busy adding many things-- am particularly enjoying all the POW pictures--very well done by all!

I am finding I am in need of some help please--

I am researching the family of* William[Billy] Barker,bapt. 6/7/1817-St Wendreda’s Church, March, Cambridgeshire-I have his decendancy
    this link tells about him-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Barker_(prospector)

He was the son of Samuel Barker,est.b1784 and Jane Brighton,est.b1776 of Cambridgeshire,-- birth year est. as per 1841 census
    They had a total of 9 children-all christened in March Cambridgeshire,as far as we have found.
    Children of Samuel and Jane Barker
    birth years unknown--
    baptized-
    05 June 1810 - BARKER ,John-m.Mary Ann Newton-1833-d.q1,1868 -7 children
    02 Jan. 1812 - BARKER, James-bapt.1/2/1812-m. Elizabeth Mitchell-q3-1838-2 children
    24 Nov. 1813 - BARKER, Samuel-d.-1827
    *12 July 1815 - BARKER, Elisabeth-d. bef. 1816
    *10 Jan. 1816 - BARKER, Elisabeth
    *10 Jan. 1816 - BARKER ,Samuel
    07 June 1817 - BARKER, William-d.1894-BC, Canada
    25 Aug.1819 - BARKER, Mary-d.-1822
    05 Sept.1822 - BARKER ,Emma -m.George Crowden-q4-1844 -8 children

What I would like to find with your help please--
    ** the ancestry of Samuel Barker
    *his place of birth/chr. -his parents,any siblings, date/place of marriage to Jane Brighton-their marriage could open so many doors:D

** eventually I would like to fill in any blank spaces for the *children listed above.

I know this is a lot to ask and I appreciate any help you can share with me.
    I do not mind searching and if you can suggest any place to look please let me know.
    I do have full access to Find My Past as well as Ancestry UK-though am not the fastest most efficient searcher in the land of genealogy.;)

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to read all this.
    Pat
    Forever will be "digging" for ancestors -

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

http://gaddfamily.tribalpages.com
    no password required.

There are some Cambs baptisms on FMP. Some searchable indexes here
    Cambridgeshire Family History Society - Welcome
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

further reading on the wiki

Cambridgeshire - Family Tree Forum
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

thank you both Nell and Jean-- I have found the children of Samuel and Jane on FMP as well as a few marriage dates for their children-- what I am not finding there is a record of Samuel and Janes marriage-
        Our LDS Library doesn't open until mid September-- so if I haven't found anything by then I will make a trip there to see what I can find. I have scoured the IGI and have not found anything -- but this means nothing-- will dig deeper and perhaps join the Cambridge Society as well-
        Many thanks
        Pat

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

no password required.

Comment

:o:o:o:o
          so how embarrassed am I?? I could fill this whole message spot with these faces!!!

while on the Wiki in Cambridgeshire I ended up on an ancestry message board-- and lo and behold what do I find?? --my post about this family in Jan/Feb. of 2008-- with some answers --

*this p[articular wonderful person posted--

I have access to some parish records of St Wendreda, March, Cambs.
          I dont know if it is of use but Samuel Barker died 1841 aged 58, and Jane died 1850 aged 63.
          There is no baptism for a Samuel in the 1766-1792 records, nor for Jane Brighton, so either they werent baptised or they were born elsewhere.

so-- now at least I know to look elsewhere for baptism and also for marriage records.

and I apologise again for being so forgetful!-- Jan/Feb of 2008 was also the time I was beginning my search for Gadd families, which took off in a huge rush, and I never did get back to the Barkers-and I had forgotten all about that information

But-- if I hadn't come back here to ask for assistance I would not have found that information -- so-- "thanks for being here" and directing me to check the Wiki!!!:D

:oembarrassed in Port Alberni!!

Pat

no password required.

Comment

Lol!

We've all done that. I keep finding scribbled notes with information i forgot I had, or finding I had a cert Ive just bought a copy of!!!

Start your baptism search in the nearby parishes and work your way outwards. There are always exceptions, but many people never moved further than 10 miles away from their home parish.

Comment

thanks Nell-- this will be my work for today----sooner or later they WILL be found! I am wondering if their death certificates would have birthplace information-- perhaps ordering them is in order.
              cheers, Pat

no password required.

Comment

A Samuel Barker was baptised in Cherry Hinton, 27th August, 1780, son of William and Ann.

Comment

death certs only have birth info after 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
                    A Samuel Barker was baptised in Cherry Hinton, 27th August, 1780, son of William and Ann.
                    :D thank you-- I have this saved in my Barker file and will look into that area as well-- much appreciated
                    Pat

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      death certs only have birth info after 1969.
                      :D this has saved me some $$$-- thank you!

Pat

no password required.

Comment

Pat,
                        If you still need help re: St Wendreda parish records, 1548-1872, I have them on disc.
                        Just let me know what you need, I'll blow the dust off and take a look!
                        Karen x

Comment

Originally posted by Sand Dancer View Post
                          Pat,
                          If you still need help re: St Wendreda parish records, 1548-1872, I have them on disc.
                          thanks Karen-- I will get back to you on this-- it's Saturday here in BC and we have just received company for the day--and I get to BBQ!!!-- oh yes-- there is a first time for everything!!!;)

cheers, Pat

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by patbee View Post
                            ... I am wondering if their death certificates would have birthplace information-- ...
                            It would be extremely unusual for a UK death cert to include PoB information. if you have a look in the certs section of the Wiki, you'll see examples of UK certs to see what they contain.
                            Certificate tutorials - Family Tree Forum

Christine

PS - I started this post ages ago, and got interrupted... if you're wondering why it doesn't follow on very well!
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

*at pat* hello!!

christine- english certs are usually the least detailed of all certificates. scottish, new zealand and australian certs are all extremely detailed. im not sure about canada and the us, but i was shocked with how little english ones have. most birth/death certs here give more info than the census and english certs combined!! and i was amazed at how good scots ones were!

Comment

Originally posted by Sand Dancer View Post
                                Pat,
                                Thank you karen for your kind offer-- perhaps the parish records you have could answer a mystery concerning 2 children of Samuel and Jane [Brighton] Barker-- I hope I can post this clear enough to understand--
                                In my original post I listed all the baptized children we found for Samuel and Jane
                                You will notice 2 Elisabeth's and 2 Samuels

(I have a sneaking suspicion there was actually 1 Elisabeth and 1 Samuel)

1-Elisabeth-bapt.12 July 1815--
                                2-Elisabeth-bapt.10 Jan. 1816-

3- Samuel-bapt.24 Nov. 1813-buried-Dec 17, 1827-age 14,--burial record says s/o Samuel Barker /Jane Brighton
                                4-Samuel-bapt.10 Jan. 1816-

Perhaps Elisabeth and Samuel were baptised twice in 1816 ??? -?-(I realize that this does occur-)--

I have not found anything else on Samuel other than that one buriel record, and it doesn't seem likely they had 2 sons living up until 1827 with the name Samuel.

I think I have answered my own question --ha ha-- but would like to verify it.

is it possible for you to look for a death for Elisabeth before 1816
                                or to hopefully find a marriage record for an Elis[z]abeth Barker after 1838?

I have not been able to find her in 1841 census-so perhaps she was married by then?

** regarding Elisabeth---
                                --In 2 instances there is an Elizabeth Barker as a witness to the marriage of James Barker, s/o Samuel and Jane, to Elizabeth Mitchell on August 2 1838 at March Cambridgeshire,-other witness-Thomas GIFFORD, and also of John Barker ,s/o Samuel and Jane, to Mary Ann Newton on 9 May 1833, also in March Cam.-other witness was James PARTIDGE
                                These would have been Elizabeth's brothers, meaning she was alive in 1838.

Also-- I would like to find a marriage record, in order to find his spouse' surname, for-

James Barker-bapt.22 Oct. 1837,s/o John Barker and Mary Ann[e] Newton--
                                from census records his wife's name was Anne/Annie--b. 1835-Burwell,Cam.
                                Hopefully they were married in St Wendreda parish.

Their first child, Alice Mary, was born q4 1864, in Leicester--as were all other children.
                                NOTE-- I have not ordered birth certificates for these children as yet.Trying to find parish records online before ordering them.

This is far too long a post me thinks??
                                with thanks, Pat

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                  It would be extremely unusual for a UK death cert to include PoB information. if you have a look in the certs section of the Wiki, you'll see examples of UK certs to see what they contain.
                                  Certificate tutorials - Family Tree Forum

Christine

PS - I started this post ages ago, and got interrupted... if you're wondering why it doesn't follow on very well!
                                  :D Thanks Christine for the information and taking the time to post---- I can see where I need to spend much more time on the Wiki--

cheers, Pat

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                    *at pat* hello!!

christine- english certs are usually the least detailed of all certificates. scottish, new zealand and australian certs are all extremely detailed. im not sure about canada and the us, but i was shocked with how little english ones have. most birth/death certs here give more info than the census and english certs combined!! and i was amazed at how good scots ones were!
                                    Hi there Kyle!

yes I agree re English certs, now that I have read what they contain--I know Canadian ones for the most part are quite informative--

check your private messages--
                                    Cheers Pat

no password required.

Comment

Pat - my apologies, i have only just looked back at this thread and seen your request. I will get onto it right away.
                                      Back soon.
                                      Karen x

Comment

P.S.
                                        There are only two marriage records for James Barker at St Wendrda, they're in 1838 and 1856.

Is there anything else you wanted to know Pat...i'm not sure I've answered all your questions. Do you need to work backwards? These St Wendreda records I've got go back to 1548.
                                        I've only got 2 Brighton's in St Wendreda....John Brighton burial 1818 and John Brighton burial 1832, so I guess they're not a March family then!! Plenty of Barkers!
                                        Last edited by Sand Dancer; 25-08-09, 18:50.
                                        Karen x

Comment

Working...
                                        X