Having trouble reading the census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble reading the census

Hi, Can anyone help me with these occupations and where born entries.

They will be born in and around Devon - maybe Bristol for the odd one

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files

I can see

thatcher
    Ag Lag (Agricultural labourer)
    tailoress
    hawker
    machinist
    potter

Not very familiar with Devon names I'm afraid.

Anne

Comment

For your 4th one, can you give us the census details so we can look at the actual image. It is sometimes easier as you can match up letters with other entries on the page - you can also get a larger image.
      Elaine

Comment

On the third one I think the place names are
        Cullompton
        Kennerleigh
        Crediton

Comment

I reckon that one of the places in No.4 is Witheridge. I agree with Frazzled for No.3.

No.1 A version of Witheridge (west of Tiverton), plus ?Sampford Peverell... I'll go and see if it appears on Google maps. Yes - it's also near Tiverton - to the east.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-08-09, 17:19.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a place called Shillingford, north of Tiverton, but I don't think that name is quite the right shape for that last one in No. 4.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

here is the link the fourth one

- Ancestry.co.uk

link for no 4 attached.

thanks

Comment

No 4
                Devon Witheridge
                Devon Witheridge (ditto used)
                Gloucestershire Bristol
                Devon Shingleford ??
                Elaine

Comment

I tried Google Maps for Shingleford, but couldn't find anything in Devon. I can imagine that someone might garble Shillingford into Shingleford.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                  X