Irish help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish help please

Hi, I could do with some help or advice or where to go next with this..........

My great-grandmother was Lizzie Daniels, she married John Edwin Barnes, (who was from Poplar, London), on 27th Oct 1909 in Dublin. Lizzie is listed as full age and spinster and her father was John Daniels deceased. I have found Lizzie Daniels in 1911 census in Dublin listed as aged 23 and married for 2 years. I contacted the Dublin Reg.Office and the only listing they have which matches is an Elizabeth Daniel dob 21st July 1889 born in NDU Workhouse, Dublin, parents are listed as John Daniel and Elizabeth McCormack.

But how do I know if this is the right one especially as I dont have her mothers name.........help....!!!............how else can I prove this right or wrong without going to Dublin??........obviously the 1901 census would help, but again not available without going to Dublin
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Well the age is right and the father's name is a near match. I suppose if the father's occupation also matched that would be another thing. Are there any clues in the witnesses to the wedding - could one of them have been Lizzie's sibling?

How many other Lizzie Daniels are there born the same time? You said the DRO only had one match.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

witnesses names dont match, assuming of course McCormack is correct, witnesses are margaret adam and george gardner.

well DRO only offered me the one match in my original enquiry

Comment

but how will i know for sure its the right one?

Comment

I don't know. How many Lizzie Daniels are there born in the same year give or take a year whose fathers are called John?

You could ask Dublin RO if the occupation matches - or if the mother's maiden name is McCormack couldn't you?
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'm making some assumptions here so if I'm wrong it won't be any help.

The record you have is the Civil Record & the parties were married in a Catholic church.

If you write to the church concerned & ask for the details, alot of the church records showed both parents names.

That's how my husband found his gg-gps names when his g-gf married for the 4th time in 1883 in Dublin. They may have stopped recording them but it's worth an enquiry.
            Glen

Comment

Thanks Nell and Oakum, certainly sounds a good idea to write to the church, think that might be a good avenue to pursue to start with. Are there any experts on irish research on here as well???

Comment

I'm sure there are some experts but a good book is always useful too. My husband used John Grenham's 'Tracing Your Irish Ancestors'. It's now in it's 3rd edition & in paperback on Amazon for £14.49.
                Glen

Comment

thanks i shall have a look, as is always the case, we visited dublin a number of years ago, before i started the family tree "thing", but maybe we can justify another holiday there soon

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                    I'm making some assumptions here so if I'm wrong it won't be any help.

The record you have is the Civil Record & the parties were married in a Catholic church.

If you write to the church concerned & ask for the details, alot of the church records showed both parents names.

That's how my husband found his gg-gps names when his g-gf married for the 4th time in 1883 in Dublin. They may have stopped recording them but it's worth an enquiry.
                    just checked on the certificate, it says registrars office in the city of dublin, so therefore assume it was just a register office wedding and did not take place in a church?

Comment

What a pity - as I said, I was making assumptions.
                      Glen

Comment

If you know the address in Dublin for 1911 then you could try your local LDS centre for the same address for that part of the Dublin 1901 Census you are interested in. They should be able to pull in those records for you at a cost of about £7, but the address must be correct as at present the 1901 Census for Ireland is still being digitised so is only available at present on an address only basis. This of course is only possible if they have not moved addresses. You have popular Irish names in Daniels and MacCormack, and Elizabeth and John are amongst the most popular Irish Christian names, so it will be anyone's guess how you can proceed. The 1901 Census will be the best bet.
                        Are these people protestant or catholic? Catholics in Ireland very rarely married in a registry office back in the early 1900's. If they were Catholics getting married in this way when was the first child baptised? Were they getting married in a hurry, because a child was on the way? Was he in the army? If he came from London and married in Dublin then there is a good chance that he was in the army, so worth looking at TNA site at Kew for possible army docs. If you find these documents and he served in W War 1 then his docs may be on Ancestry. You could also look for a marriage and births in the overseas section of Findmypast which contains all the military marriages and baptisms/births. If you were lucky enough to find any army records then you will find out who he married and where and when and baptisms and deaths of any children born or died whilst in the army. I have a few births and death certs from Ireland courtesy of the army records found on Ancestry.

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 21-08-09, 19:53.

Comment

hi janet, thanks for the info lots of things to pursue so i willcertainly look into what you have suggested. I did think the 1901 census was my best option, but frustratingly I am guessing that the 1901 address will not be the same as the 1911, but i didnt realise that the LDS could do that for such a nominal fee. Will chase this up.

To answer some of your points......

I can't say whether Lizzie daniels was catholic or not, her husband John Edwin Barnes, was as you correctly assumed in the army, he was away on active duty in 1911 and he later died at gallipoli in Turkey, I have some of his army records. There marriage in 1909 left a convenient gap until their first child was born, 1911 (Martha Ann Barnes), but i am now thinking maybe their was an earlier child that possibly died quite young and maybe their was actually a rushed wedding......further research required here.

Thanks again janet, lots of new ideas to look into.......just a shame she wasn't living with her family in 1911 when her husband John was away on active duty

Comment

just tried elizabeth daniel/elizabeth daniels for 1911 census in dublin, but for those in the right age bracket there are none that stand out as being obviously the right one, in an ideal world she would be living with the McCormack family......but she could of course have died by 1911

Comment

She could have been staying in Barracks somewhere or even with a family as a domestic servant. She may not even have come from Dublin originally but come in from the country somewhere. It is very tricky with Irish tracing and not knowing where family are from originally.

Good luck,

Janet

Comment

in 1911 her address is listed as island bridge, which is the barracks, but her birthplace is listed as dublin

Comment

Further update to this mystery and the thread that I started on this subject.

Have now researched the 1901 census for ireland as now available online. Have tried multiple searches for both Lizzie/Elizabeth Daniel/Daniels in the 1901 census and nothing really fits close to tie in with being born in Dublin and the correct age. Any lateral thinking as always appreciated, Paul

Comment

Just a small bit of lateral thinking worth trying. Elizabeth/Lizzie may translate to Bessie/Betty in Ireland? The Irish often used pet names rather than their own names or even second names.

Janet

Comment

thanks janet will give it a try didn't realise that..................unfortunately tried that still no joy
                                      Last edited by Paulc; 03-07-10, 16:14.

Comment

Can't think of anything else at present. I can only offer great sympathy as I have just come back from three weeks in Ireland visiting cousins and trying to do family history but getting no further forward whatsoever! In fact I have just taken a backward step as the church I usually visit in Thurles Tipperary for my baptisms is no longer allowed to give out the information along with all the other churches in Tipperary! So some checks I wanted to do were unavailable. I can do it through Dublin now but I was not going to Dublin on this occasion so a double whammy!

If I think of anything else I will come back.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                                        X