Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Criminal Registry Larceny by Servant ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal Registry Larceny by Servant ???

would this mean he got his servant to do the crime ??

Val

No, it means the servant committed the crime of stealing from his/her employer.

Criminal larceny by servant was a crime on the statute book and attracted a harsher punishment than "ordinary" theft, because a servant was in a position of trust.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 20-08-09, 22:37. Reason: Added a bit.

Comment

oh stupid me , you must think I'm a nincumpoop
      it also says he was acquitted ??? must have had a good alibi then ?
      And there was I hoping I had found a criminal rellie lol
      Thanks OC

Comment

I originally thought that was it, OC, but googling suggests that it's not just theft by a servant from his/her master.

A "servant" in this case means somebody in a position of trust, or a contractor, who's gained possession of goods lawfully and then stolen them. This didn't used to be an offence, so the new offence of "larceny by servant" was introduced to cover it.

One example would be a haulier who steals the goods he's supposed to be delivering.

Comment

mmm interesting Mary ,thanks for that

Comment

Mary

You are right of course, I hadn't thought of the broader implications of the word servant.

My daughter who works for the Post Office, or whatever it's called now, says that postal workers who steal from mail deliveries are charged under this law - Criminal Larceny by a Servant. Servant emphasising the trust aspect of the theft.

OC

Comment

Working...
            X