Military records in TNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military records in TNA

I have had no luck trying to find my grandfathers WWI military records on Ancestry - I believe a lot of the old records were lost some time ago. Would there be more or different records available at TNA? I'm hoping to go up there some time next month and if there are would like to try to find out more.

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

About British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920

This database contains the surviving service records of non-commissioned officers and other ranks who served in WWI and did not re-enlist in the Army prior to World War II. With the latest release, this database now contains records for surnames beginning A-N.
    British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

So officers' records and surnames beginning O-Z aren't included yet.

Comment

His surname is Brown, so theoretically should be included, but I can find no trace of him - tho admittedly Brown is not really easy to trace!

Thanks anyway

Linda
      Linda

Comment

The records on Ancestry are images of the records held at Kew, not different records.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have you found his medal card on Ancestry? Although I suppose it'll be difficult with a surname like Brown, unless he has an unusual Christian name or you know his service number.

Comment

No idea of his service number and his christian name was Harry or Henry - I think there are roughly 1000 Henry Browns and 1300 Harry Browns who received medals, and the info on the medal cards doesn't help identify them. I think I need to give this one up!

Thanks for the info.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

If you know his regiment - or likely regiment - or have photo of him in uniform then you might track him down through regimental records

Roger

Comment

I'm afraid no such luck. All I have is the vague story that he was gassed in WWI - survived, but then put on supply as he was not fit for fighting. That's the extent of my knowledge! If anyone can get anything from that, they are gods to me!! The only other thing I know is that he came from Nottingham, so presumably was in a Notts regiment.

Linda
                Linda

Comment

Don't assume he joined a local regiment - not necessarily the case! It sounds as though he probably got the Silver War Badge, so that might narrow the medal card results down a bit, but unless the card has an address on the back, I think you'll be struggling to find the right one.
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

If he got the silver war badge, which seems very likely, you should find him in the pension records on Ancestry.

Comment

There aren't all that many Henry Browns from Notts in the Pension records, and no Harry Browns. When was he born, and whereabouts in Notts did he come from?

Comment

so if a man rejoined in world war 11 his records wont be on Ancestry ????? is that right?? no wonder I cant find them
                        Have to send for them then .

Comment

He was from Nottingham, and his date of birth was either June 1891 or September 1893 (he might have used either). I couldn't see him on the pensions record. but will have another look. Thanks for the help.

Linda
                          Linda

Comment

Working...
                          X