Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOOGLE MAIL ~ Extra Addresses

John,

I am trying (very trying I know) to create one more email address for myself and one for my husband.

I am not sure where I am going wrong as I have created a new password and if possible would like to display my name in a different form. I would also like to create one for my husband. I thought that I had to create a new account for each. I get a message telling me that I already have an account.

I went to My Account, then Edit and got lost.

I am not certain that I understand 'Associated' with the account does that mean i.e. including my TT address so that I can view any mail via GM?

What am I doing wrong? Any guidence would be a help.

Thank you.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Hi Margaret,

I have one account for each email address.

First of all I go to:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&co ntinue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%3Fhl%3D en%26ui%3Dhtml%26zy%3Dl&ltmpl=default&ltmplcache=2 &hl=en

and click the large <Create an Account> button which takes me to:

https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount?service=mail&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail .google.com%2Fmail%2Fe-11-115b7d736ab1257073504cbd38bb37ea-65b9966b496e049daee8dd79e7e9f19f5c7d926f&type=2

I then proceed to fill in all the fields. Some of the fields will of course have to be unique for each account/email address you set up.

Have you tried going down the above road once more for yourself and again for your husband?

How far are you getting?
    Last edited by Guest; 20-08-09, 01:41.

Comment

FYI ...

Here are a few links to my past email related instructions if anyone is interested. I don't think they deal with setting up a gmail/googlemail account directly though. The instructions may also be a little out of date.

How to install Mozilla Thunderbird (email client)
      http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/35800-how-install-mozilla-thunderbird-email-client.html

Configuring Outlook to use with your Gmail email accounts.
      http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/29644-configuring-outlook-use-your-gmail-email-accounts.html

Configuring Windows Mail to use with your Gmail email accounts.
      http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/30333-configuring-windows-mail-use-your-gmail-email-accounts.html

Edit: I've nudged the threads up ...
      Last edited by Guest; 20-08-09, 02:16.

Comment

John,
        Many thanks I knew that you would come up trumps as usual. I feel sure that I speak for others members that we all appreciate the help that you give us.

I will get this sorted over the weekend and confirm to you how it goes.

Best Wishes
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Good luck Margaret, I'll wait to see how you get on.

Comment

John,

Thank you for the help I have created a new account name etc. no real problems. The top address that you gave me did not take me to the option to Create New Account until I had clicked on it and cancelled it a number of times as it kept telling me that I had an account. Finally, it came up with a box that asked me do you wish to Create a New Account and it all happened. It is only a backup address to give to people that I don't really want to hear from but insist on an email address.

I notice on the GM help page that a number of people had mentioned that they could not get this option once they had an account.

Take care,
            Margaret N

Comment

Hi Margaret, Very strange! It seems to work ok for me. I'm happy that you're all sorted anyway. :D

Comment

John,

Problem I do have is that where I can read my GM in Windows Mail I nearly always get two copies of the message. Tonight I only received one copy, but earlier today like most days they come in duplicate. I have run through the GM help and still cannot find an answer ~ is it me?

Any ideas please maybe that is correct (do I get a copy for W Mail + a copy from GM which is why they are mostly in duplicate)?

Nothing to do with my new account set up as I have not linked it to Windows Mail and this has happended alot.

I am thinking of recieving all my mail in GM and not worrying about W Mail so may try and make the change over.
                Margaret N

Comment

Hi Margaret,

When you are sent an email it will go straight to your GM account on the internet. You will be able to view the email there.

Thereafter, depending on what options you have set on your GM account, the email will then be downloaded to your computer where you can view it via Windows Mail. So as you say, 2 copies.

I believe that your GM account will have a setting to allow deletion or archiving of incoming emails once they have been downloaded to your computer.

I always leave the incoming emails on my GM account on the internet, so they are there as a backup if anything happens to my computer and look at the actual downloaded emails on my computer, via Outlook or Thunderbird. I don't use Windows Mail.

Does the above clarify what you want to know?

John
                  Last edited by Guest; 28-08-09, 02:38.

Comment

Hi John,

Yes, it certainly does clarify my question and thank you. It is one of those things that I have not paid much attention to until I was helping my friend with Hotmail and it all seemed to catch my eye.

I leave most things on GMail for a backup as it is so useful. I know all about loosing emails when a PC crashes.

I am plan to download Google Chrome and see how I like it some say it is full adverts others say no problems so will take a look.
                    Speak to you again after FTF have update the system or whatever over the weekend.

Cheers,
                    Last edited by Margaret N; 27-08-09, 22:47.
                    Margaret N

Comment

Good luck with Google Chrome Margaret, Speak soon :D

Comment

Working...
                      X