Prohibited Marriages in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prohibited Marriages in Australia

I am wondering if the law on prohibited marriages is different in Australia from that in the UK.

According to the WIKI on this site:

The 1931 Marriage Act removed 6, 7, 8 and 9 (Aunt-in-law and Uncle-in-law) and 27, 28, 29 and 30 (Niece-in-law and Nephew-in-law) provided the relevant Uncle, Aunt, Niece, and Nephew were dead.

I assume this means that you cannot marry your e.g. niece in law unless your previous wife (her aunt) is dead, i.e. if you divorce your wife you cannot marry her niece. Is this what everyone else understands this to mean?

And, does anyone know if this is the same in Australia?

Many thanks

Helen

im not sure, but i would think the laws here would be different from english ones. i always thought it was illegal it marry nieces or nephews, but if theyre not blood, i dont think there would be a problem with who you marry. unless the person is your adopted parent/guardian.

Comment

thanks for that

have just had a bit of a google and found this as part of the Marriage Act 1961 in Australia:

(2) Marriages of parties within a prohibited relationship are marriages:
      (a) between a person and an ancestor or descendant of the person; or
      (b) between a brother and a sister (whether of the whole blood or the half‑blood).

also adopted children to be treated as natural children

so looks like the rules are much less stringent than in the UK

Comment

just like i thought. only a child or granchild, etc and nieces/nephews are illegal. anyone else is all good, unless one of the parties adopted the other.

Comment

Working...
        X