census help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• census help

1871-cardigan wales. ref- rg 10, piece 5540, folio 62, page 23.

william shaw and household.
    can anyone read william's birthplace and occupation please?
    and kattie's birthplace? albion something london?
    and e. buckingham's occupation too? i think it might be annuitant, but i cant see if it's what's written.

I'm not sure either, have you found William on any other census. If so any clues?

Comment

none of it tallies with other censuses. the names of the children are unusual enough to identify this family. william is missing in 61, and 81 the occupation is land house divide? whatever that is!! in 81 he is in bath, somerset. he is born in bellericay, but i doubt it says that on the census in 71.

Comment

William's birthplace is Buttsbury (now part of Billericay) his occupation is something Horses - Land Servant Horses?

I'd agree with Annuitant for Elizabeth.

BTW there's a photo of Buttsbury Church on PoW Project!
        Sue

Comment

I've found Elizabeth in 1861 with the twins here - Ancestry.co.uk but not William yet.

Will keep looking!
          Sue

Comment

thanx sue for the help. i already have elizabeth in 1861. i dont have william in 61 or his death after 1881. and eliabeth died in between 71-81, but i have looked in all the welsh counties and herdford as well as gloucester and somerset, and there is no trace of her.

Comment

re annuitants, they have some sort of pension from the government, is there any records of these?

Comment

who are his parents? and when did he marry?
                Tessie

Comment

Kyle - in those days the pension would not be from the government. It would be more like a 'life insurance' type thing that we have nowadays. Or alternatively just the annual interest (hence 'annuitant') on an investment made earlier - perhaps by her husband.

Anne

Comment

williams are a george shaw, ch. at romford in 1794. he married a lavinia b. shaw, thought to be brott browne, according to submitted igi things. she was born in 1800, in godmanchester, huntingdon. he died 1872 in devon, she 76 in st george hanover, london.

Comment

thanx anne. i have three ancestors who we annuitants, and just wondered why. one was quite young, 24 i think, she and her mother had one.

Comment

Working...
                      X