maiden name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maiden name

Can you confirm my opinion that this mothers maiden name is Hansa ?

Peter

Image is crown copyright.
    Attached Files

Have you looked for a corresponding marriage of the parents in FreeBMD Home Page It could start with an M with the first stroke missing if you look at the other M's on the page.

That's what I do if I'm stuck on maiden names.

Look for the husband's marriage and then where it says place registered there's a number next to it - click on that and it shows who else were married and hopefully you can pair them up. It should give you a version of the mother's maiden name.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Alender?

However, it's very small!
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

It's not coming up big enough to make out clearly. The attachment feature automatically reduces the file size, but you can post bigger images if you host them on an external site like Photobucket. See: How to Use Photobucket - Family Tree Forum
        Sarah

Comment

ssshhh don't say Alender, Gwynne may be reading this!!!!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The first letter does look like an M same strokes as M in Munday.

Peter

Comment

According to the IGI, there is another daughter:

Harriet Munday
              Chr. 15 May 1842 Biddenden Kent
              Parents William and Hester
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                ssshhh don't say Alender, Gwynne may be reading this!!!!
                Lol! I thought that as I typed!:D
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Try this image.

Peter

Comment

looks like mansa.

Comment

I think it's Manser, and there are quite a lot of people with that surname in Kent in the 1841 census.

Can't find a marriage for William and Esther/Hester in the IGI or Pallot's index.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 19-08-09, 13:06.

Comment

Mary's suggestion of Manser looks like a good possibility. My first thought was Hansen, but after comparing against the other words, I agree the first letter is probably an M.
                        Sarah

Comment

I thought it looked like Hansa. The initial letter is nothing like the nearby M's.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

What makes it look like an M to me is that I thought the "dot" to the left of the first letter was part of it, but with the line connecting the "dot" to the rest of the letter too feint to see properly on the scan. But if the "dot" is not part of the letter, then it does look more like an H.
                            Sarah

Comment

Yes, that's what I thought - if you look at the M of Munday, there's a similar dot at the beginning.

And the end of her surname looks a lot like the "er" at the end of "labourer".

Comment

i agree. it's more of an 'm' than an 'h'. and the more you scrutinise it, the more like manser it is.

Comment

I'll add my vote for MANSER - for the same reasons as Mary from Italy.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hanser/Hauser

OC

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry which has it as Manser. She remarried in 1866 to Robert Moseley.
                                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                                        There is a tree on Ancestry which has it as Manser. She remarried in 1866 to Robert Moseley.
                                        It all depends as to when the husband died as in the Munday family there are childern born in the following years

Elisabeth in 1847 ap
                                        Amy who is the Emma on this birth cert in 1849 ap
                                        Thomas in 1855
                                        So if she was widowed before 1866 and took her maiden name in that 2nd ? marriage its possible.

However Amy married as a Mundayto her 1st husband Alfred Smith.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                                        X