Do this mean what I think it does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do this mean what I think it does

This concerns a William Meggitt and a Dorothy Snell who married in 1802 in Hull. Try as I might, when I have tried to find the birth date on IGI it just comes up with where they were born for both of them, does this mean they were illegitimate?
    Last edited by LorraineJ; 18-08-09, 16:17.

Lorraine, their marriage on the IGI is a "submitted" entry which someone has given. If it were an "extracted" entry it would mean it was taken from the parish registers.

You need to consult the parish registers to confirm the entry, and to see if there are any further details.

There is a baptism for a William Tong Meggitt in Hull in 1777:

However, it isn't necessarily your man.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

It just means that the IGI doesn't include a record of the Baptism. That means neither that there was or was not a Baptism.

The IGI includes transcriptions of Baptisms and Marriages, mainly, plus "submitted" entries (such as the one you have found for the marriage). If you understand what the IGI is about (and Guy is very good at explaining that) then you will understand whether or not it is reliable for the purposes for which you want to use it. It is particularly important to understand that its primary purpose is something entirely other than genealogy.

I think there's a section in the Wiki which does some of the explaining - and maybe has some more useful links.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Further to Elizabeth's findings, there's a Dorothy SNELL Baptism in Seaton Ross - between Hull and York - in 1782. It may or may not be yours. Batch C106852

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-08-09, 16:24.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you found them in any censuses to know where they (claim to have been!) were born.

Christine

Comment

Here's Dorothy (widowed, MiL, age 68, proprietor of houses) in 1851:
            Class: HO107; Piece: 2360; Folio: 623; Page: 9

Has that family any connection to you? ... Daughter Sophia, married to James Houlden Brocklebank ROBINSON (How's that for a name!).

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-08-09, 16:23.

Comment

Dorothy ("Dorithy") is here (age 59) in 1841:
              Class: HO107; Piece 1231; Book: 6 Folio: 25; Page: 42
              That's in Barkers Buildings, Osborne St, Kingston upon Hull.

With William MEGGITT (69) joiner, William SNELL (65), and William Snell MEGGITT (20) roper (I think)
              all born in the county.

Christine

Comment

It is possible that its the same people. My connection is my great grandmother's half sibling Richard Key, who married a Sophia Gawthorp. Her parents were William Gawthorp and Prudence Meggitt but William appears to have died by 1841, Prudence's parents appear to be William Meggitt and Dorothy Snell.

Its very possible that Sophia who married James Holden Brocklebank Robinson was Prudence's sister, as its not what I'd call a run of the mill name. The area of Hull and the Vale of York would appear to fit.
                Last edited by LorraineJ; 18-08-09, 16:31.

Comment

If you put that batch number into the IGI and search for baptisms with John SNELL and Prudence as parents, there are a number - including a William 16 JUL 1775 Seaton Ross, Yorkshire, which ties in with the one in 1841 aged 65.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                    It is possible that its the same people. My connection is my great grandmother's half sibling Richard Key, who married a Sophia Gawthorp. Her parents were William Gawthorp and Prudence Meggitt, but William could well be deceased by the 1841 census, Prudence's parents appear to be William Meggitt and Dorothy Snell.

Its very possible that Sophia who married James Holden Brocklebank Robinson was Prudence's sister, as its not what I'd call a run of the mill name. The area of Hull and the Vale of York would appear to fit.
                    If you put William Gawthorp and Prudence into the IGI as parents, and look for births, you get a bundle of records from the Hull area - several are Methodist.

It's also worth doing the same with William Meggitt and Dorothy.

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-08-09, 16:36.

Comment

The 16-yr-old Prudence GAWTHORPE in 1851 has a 6-yr-old namesake in 1841, whose mother is also Prudence, aged 30(+) - i.e. 30-34
                      Class: HO107; Piece 1231; Book: 13 Folio: 20; Page: 33 (Hull)

In the FreeBMD index, there's a marriage in 1838 Sculcoates for Sophia MEGGITT, where James ROBINSON is one of the grooms. YorkshireBMD confirms that they are a matching couple - the ceremony took place at All Saints, Sculcoates,Hull.

Christine

Comment

I'm beginning to lose the plot, here!

But I think the connections look likely.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                        X