Military look up request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military look up request

Can someone please do a military look up for me.

My ggrandfather Henry Clarke b1817 was apparently in the army sometime between 1840-1870.
    He served some or all of his time in the british colonies in Canada.

Thats as much as i`ve been able to find out so far.
    Would appreciate any information.
    Cheers.
    happy

Hallo Happy

Nothing comes up on the National Archives website search. You may have to go to Kew or contact them and ask them to search (will cost).
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If you could find which Regiment he was in then you might have a chance of finding him in the Regiments Muster Books at Kew, although you would have to visit or employ a researcher.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi Happy

You might find this forum useful:-

Victorian Wars Forum
        Jackie

Comment

Hi JBee
          I have`nt a clue which Regiment he was in, it was`nt until Sunday when Maudarby found a 1861 Canadian census document showing him as a soldier and serving in Canada. Thats the first i knew he was in the army.

Comment

You have to know which regiment he was in for this period, to be able to find any records. Are any officers listed with him in the Canadian census? Much easier to find an officers regiment which hopefully would be the same regiment as your man!
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I had someone in the 71st Regiment of Foot (Royal Highland Fusiliers) that spent 9 1/2 years in Canada. He was discharged in Stirling in 1861.

I did find him in the Aberdeen 1841 census with the Regiment.

Your man might have been in the same Regiment or perhaps one that was there at the same time or in the Regiment that replaced them.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi Annswabey
                I am trying to find his regiment but thats proving harder than i thought. I`ve looked through all the census without any luck. Like i said the only document i`ve found is the Canadian one. All the other people on the page were soldiers and thier families, no officers.
                Last edited by Happy; 20-08-09, 12:20.

Comment

What about the previous pages? Officers would be listed first
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X