Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death registration

Hi,

I want to order a death certificate for on one of my direct ancestors Ann Rodgers. This is a desperate attempt to try and break down a long running brick wall. I think she died between 1851 and 1861 (based on census returns). I have found two possible death registrations one in 1854 and one in 1860. The plan is to order the 1854 certificate. I have found the registration details on FreeBMD:

FreeBMD District Info

However, they do not seem to be on Yorkshire BMD or ancestry. Why? I do not want to order the certificate from gro only to be told that it does not exist.

Can any one throw any light on this one please.

Many thanks, Sandra
    Last edited by Sherbertrose; 25-10-09, 10:19.

If you check the Yorkshire BMD site it appears that there is no coverage yet for deaths for the Rotherham district.

FreeBMD on Ancestry is updated at regular intervals from the main FreeBMD site. It is possible that the entry is a fairly recent addition on freeBMD and has'nt yet reached Ancestry.

I have tried to view the image on Ancestry but the page is very faint that it is difficult to see the volume and page details.
    Elaine

Comment

I've just moved this thread into "Research Qs & As".

Comment

I've just tried to check the details on FMP and although it is a very poor image I think the freeBMD transcription is correct.
        Elaine

Comment

If you look at the image on FreeBMD it is a lot clearer.

Looks like 9c 256 to me.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Sandra,

Send to the local Register Office, give both dates & say widow or wife of ...... & they'll send the correct one. I did it for 4 once, all incorrect so they sent my cheque back & my letter which showed where they had pencilled in who the other husbands were. As it was mine had been mistranscribed on a later census & I did eventually find the correct one.
            Glen

Comment

Hi, Elaine

Thanks for the explanation. However, it has since occurred to me that a visit to Rotherham Archives would be a much better option, particularly as I don't not know when she died and knowing my luck I would choose the wrong certificate. There is also the possibility that she was not simply Ann but Mary Ann or Ann Mary as she appears on the 1841 census as Mary and the 1851 census as Ann - I think they are the same person.

Sandra

Comment

Sorry John,

I had been looking in the think tank previously!

Sandra

Comment

Sandra - visiting the Rotherham Archives will only help if you can find her burial. They don't do death certificates in the Archives. An application to the Register Office might get a result as explained by Oakum Picker.

anne

Comment

Hi Ann,

I realise that I would need to find a burial record. However, as I know the area of Rotherham the family were living at the time this might give me the answers (as to when she died). In addition to which I am still trying to find this very illusive lady's history. The only thing I know for certain is when and where she married, which was Wickersley -the place she should have died.

I am still trying to find out where she was christened. According to census returns she was born in Brampton, Rotherham, But the records for Brampton are in Doncaster. I went there yesterday to try and find her. No joy. You would think with a name like Aville it would be easy - lol. I am therefore hoping she may have been baptised in Rotherham.
                    So, a visit may, with a lot of luck, solve both puzzles. And, if I can't find her burial I can still send for the cerificate.

I will get to the bottom of this one eventually, I am not sure how, but I am determined!!

Sandra

Comment

Aville has all the attributes of a name ripe for variation!

Did you look only at Aville? or did you try it with an H in front, for instance? Or an E instead of the I?

In the GoONS, these look not-impossible: Averell, Averill, Avril. No obvious traces of those names with an H. I suggest this because I have name variations, of which some are extraordinary - look in my footer!

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

Aville, Avill, avil are names which seem to centre on Rotherham and specifically the village of Wickersley. However, I take your point that it may be a variation. Saville would seem to be the most obious one, and there is one possibility, but unfortunately that is all it is. I have looked for other varriations but nothing seems to fit.

Sandra

Comment

Follow up

I went to Rotherham archives this afternoon. I think I may have a crack in this particular brick wall. There was a family of Avilles living close by and I thought there was a possibility that Ann was linked to this family - the problem is proving it. I think I have found to pieces of documentaion which add to the probabilty that she was the eldest child of this family.

Firstly, I found her burial date - 28 September 1854 which fits in with the death registration on FreeBMD so this gives me the assurance to order the birth cerificate as the age was consistant with her birth. However, then I had a little bit of luck. Burried on the same day was one Charlotte Aville who, I think, was her sister. Charlotte's age on death was consistant with her birth. Could this indicate that they died together - an accident may be?

I also found a christening record for her brother James Aville which linked the family to Brampton. I had always assumed that I was looking for Brampton Bierlow(this was the village closest to Kilnhurst the village given for her husband on the 1851 census. It would seem I was wrong. I now think the family came from Brampton en le Morthen - both Bramptons are in Rotherham!!

With this evidence do you think I can now assume that Ann can be linked to this family?

Sandra

Comment

Is the 1851 census for Brampton en le Morthen any help?

Ulleyweb - Brampton-en-le-Morthen
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi John,

Unfortunately not. Perhaps I will get more idea when I order Ann's death certificate.

Sandra

Comment

Two siblings buried on the same day. I had a pair as well, Sandra. I couldn't resist getting their death certs. Sadly the deaths were completely unrelated - a tradgedy for the family.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                  Two siblings buried on the same day. I had a pair as well, Sandra. I couldn't resist getting their death certs. Sadly the deaths were completely unrelated - a tradgedy for the family.

Anne
                                  That's almost worse: you hear about one, and think you've still got all the rest.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes it was very sad to discover. One brother in his 20s died falling off a train (suspect 'good night out') and a day or so later his little brother died of convulsions. They were buried together in 1873. The little one was the baby of the family. The mother was at the inquest of the older one. There were 15 in this family but that doesn't make it any better, does it?

Anne

Comment

Update

I did send for the death certificate for Ann Rodgers and the certificate did finally give me the illusive link to the Aville family. Ann died of Asiatic Cholera. Although, I did not order her sister Charlotte's death certificate I suspect that she also died of the same condition. However, what sealed the link was that the informant was Mary Aville, Ann's Sister.

This linked Ann to the family but I was still missing Ann's baptism and her parents Thomas and Mary Aville's Marriage. The good news is I now have Ann's Baptism, Thomas and Mary's Marriage and a whole load of branches to investigate.

A very nice lady named Sue (not on this forum as far as I know) found Ann's baptism 3 Jan 1803, Teeton, Rotherham. Right parish about the right time and right christian names The reason I couldn't find the baptism, the surname was Averill not Aville. So, Christine was right when she said that Averill was ripe for name variation. On the back of this, I now have Thomas and Mary's marriage. They married 18 Jun 1799 All Saints Church Rotherham, but Averill was further changed to Haverill!!. Fortunately, I have the marriage records for All Saints Church and this gave Thomas's parish as Tickhill which is consistent with census returns.

So, to reiterate the sentiments of Val don't give up. Our ancestors are out there - they just need a little determination in order to find them!!

Sandra
                                      Last edited by Sherbertrose; 25-10-09, 11:09.

Comment

oh what lovely results Sandra..
                                        well done!

nice when you get that little bit of a breakthru isnt it?
                                        Julie
                                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                        X