UK hallmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK hallmarks

Hi All, I hope this is the right place to post this. I have just been given some bits and pieces my grandmother wanted me to have (she died in 1962- long story!). There is an engagement type ring and a wedding ring. Does a hallmark give you a clue as to the date? The reason I ask is, I don't think they my Gran's rings but they could be my Gt Gran's.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

When I have had my version of the crown jewels valued, they give an itemized infantry and within that there is a date and place of manufacture. These are on gold items, but I don't know whether the Hallmarks will come up on google...silver certainly does.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I dated my silver teaspoons from a reference book at my local library, a strong magnifying glass is useful for comparing the marks (which may be worn) with the book illustrations

Comment

Thank you Bubblebelle and Jill for your suggestions, the rings are gold and do have hallmarks. I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

Moiramary

Don't be influenced by the date of the rings - they may have been bought second hand!

My family always did this as you get more for your money buying secondhand.

OC

Comment

Hallmarks include a date-letter. The style of the script would tell you which set of years it belongs in. I have† John Bly's* book, and could (possibly) help out if you wanted to post a photo.

Christine
            †assuming I haven't put it in The Safe Place from which no object/paper ever returns ;)
            *Antiques Roadshow silver/furniture expert.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

A good local Jeweller should be able to tell you date, maker and city of manufacture from the hall mark although it can be tricky with wedding rings bcause they get worn for so long the mark wears away - better someone familiar with the marks than you or I guessing. Can you tell the difference between a leopard and a lion's mask ??! leave it to an expert!
              Roger

Comment

An expert may expect a fee of course.

Comment

I agree with OC about 2nd hand rings. My mil left me various rings, including her engagement ring. When I had it valued for insurance purposes I was told it was made in 1911.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Slightly off topic but our descendants would have great fun with our wedding rings - we bought both 2nd hand - mine is 1920's dh's is 1930's, yet we got married less than 10 yrs ago! But there was no way we'd have got 22ct gold for that price otherwise, would have been three times more expensive to buy new. I like to think of it as a tribute to the original owner, hopefully another long and growing marriage. Was great fun choosing from this bag of a hundred or more rings they had just lying in the safe. Any good jeweller will have a similar stash.

Comment

hi
                      they would have even more fun with my engagment ring as it has no marks on it what so ever and I know it to be 18carat white gold ( I can now hear the sharp intake of breath) the reason it has no marking is because hubby had it altered to fit and when they did this they cut the marking out and did not redo them it was done in another country

Laura

Comment

Gosh! It's all much more complicated than I thought. I'm going to get them dated for my own satisfaction. The reason I thought they might be my Gt Gran's is they are very small and she was just a girl when she married (only seventeen). My Gran was quite a big lady and married when she was twenty eight. Thanks for all your responses and interest, Cheers, Moira.

Comment

Laura

A bit off topic, but you do know you can have your ring assayed and hallmarked, for about £35, I think. The Hallmark will be the current one, not the one when you bought it.

It is the same flat fee (£35) whether you have one item assayed or a hundred!

OC

Comment

Oc would I have to post it to them

Laura

Comment

You could do it via a Jeweller (who would charge you for the privilege) or you could deal direct with the Assay office, which is what I have done in the past.

I have never lost anything this way yet, although I do always insure and send either Registered, or by Courier.

OC

Comment

Being a member on here is a great way to broaden your education!

Comment

It's a great source of information you never thought you needed to know about.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

and OC is usually the source of such information:D
                                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Try this site :

Elemental Antique Jewelry Hallmarks | Tips on Antique Gold Jewelry

And click on the link that opens a PDF window :

I hope that helps.

Joanie

Comment

Thanks Joanie, I did google hallmarks but got so many hits I was bamboozled.

Comment

Working...
                                        X