IGI --- how do I go further?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI --- how do I go further?

I have been luck enough to find details which I believe to be needed for my tree.

I have the British film numbers from the Mormon's site, but I can't see how I order the films.

I live near Maidstone, so I should be able to get there OK.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

You have to order in person at the FHC you will be visiting to view the films. You need to pay in advance at the time of ordering and only cash, or possibly cheque is accepted as they do not have Credit card facilities. Do you know where your nearest LDS Church is?

Pat

Comment

Explanation here:

Latter Day Saints Family History Libraries - Family Tree Forum

Comment

Mary from Italy .... yes, Maidstone is only 1/2 hour drive away.

Elderflower.
        Thank you.
        I will need to go to Maidstone ... I have found their opening times.
        ..Order the films .. (how much does that cost please?)
        Then, I suppose they will let me know when they have them availbable to be looked at?
        ... I also assume that they have film readers and copiers available

Comment

Hi Mr Chips

I do some voluntary work at our local LDS FHC so can tell you the way our centre works. I expect it's the same at other centres but ours is a fairly small one and bigger ones may have a few more facilities.

You come in person to order your film(s) and pay the fee. When the film arrives at the centre, you will be contacted and will be able to make an appointment to view the film. There will be film readers at the centre but ours does not have copying facilities. As with most research not done by computer, it means transcribing everything you think you want by hand. There are several blank PR template forms on the Internet so you might want to print some of these off before you go to view the film. It will make transcribing a lot quicker.

The price of films increased recently and are now £7 each. This allows the film to stay at the FHC for 3 months after which time it must be returned to head office, or renewed at a further cost of £7, unless it has been ordered by someone else. Be aware that if you are looking for whole generations of families who stayed in one place for years and years, getting through a film can take a lot of time! It is usually recommended that you only order one or two films at a time. You might like to arm yourself with a good magnifying glass as some films can be very hard to read. Our centre does have few that we can loan people whilst they are in the centre.

I would suggest that when you go to order your film, ask to be shown the facilities and then you will know what to expect. Some of the FHCs are a lot bigger than ours (just two film readers and two computers) but I have no idea of the size of Maidstone.

Good luck with your research - I find searching fims very rewarding, especially when you find what you are looking for.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
            Hi Mr Chips

I do some voluntary work at our local LDS FHC so can tell you the way our centre works. I expect it's the same at other centres but ours is a fairly small one and bigger ones may have a few more facilities.

You come in person to order your film(s) and pay the fee. When the film arrives at the centre, you will be contacted and will be able to make an appointment to view the film. There will be film readers at the centre but ours does not have copying facilities. As with most research not done by computer, it means transcribing everything you think you want by hand. There are several blank PR template forms on the Internet so you might want to print some of these off before you go to view the film. It will make transcribing a lot quicker.

The price of films increased recently and are now £7 each. This allows the film to stay at the FHC for 3 months after which time it must be returned to head office, or renewed at a further cost of £7, unless it has been ordered by someone else. Be aware that if you are looking for whole generations of families who stayed in one place for years and years, getting through a film can take a lot of time! It is usually recommended that you only order one or two films at a time. You might like to arm yourself with a good magnifying glass as some films can be very hard to read. Our centre does have few that we can loan people whilst they are in the centre.

I would suggest that when you go to order your film, ask to be shown the facilities and then you will know what to expect. Some of the FHCs are a lot bigger than ours (just two film readers and two computers) but I have no idea of the size of Maidstone.

Good luck with your research - I find searching fims very rewarding, especially when you find what you are looking for.

Pat
            Hi Pat, Just a quickie with ref to the above highlighted. Can I presume that some centres allow copying then if they have the facilities? Those centres that don't have copying facilities, like yours, are you allowed to use a camera ?

Comment

They do allow copying if the centre has that facility. I have made copies at our local centre

Comment

Hi John

I'm afraid I do not know if copying would be allowed if there was a copier available. We have never been asked if taking photos is OK but really don't think this would be a problem. To be honest, I've never thought about it. I presume you are thinking of copyright?

Slightly different scenario, but one that I have personal experience of:

I bought some microfiche of a Somerset Parish plus part of Dr Campbell's Index on Fiche. Transcribing took forever and I had limited access to a fiche viewer. I tried taking some photos of some of the screens but it probably took longer to set the camera up correctly then transfer them to computer and mess around with the photos until I got something readable, than it would have to transcribe them in the first place. Only last week I took those fiche to our local studies library and used their super dooper fiche reader with print facilities and printed out quite a few pages so that I could transcribe them at home. Quite an expensive way of doing it as each printout was 35 pence and it soon adds up. As I own the fiche, I presume copyright is not an issue as long as I use the information for my own research and not for commercial gain.

I wouldn't bother going down the photo route as many of the films are very hard to read anyway, particularly when you get back to the 1700s.

Pat

Comment

Thanks Pat, I just thought, if copyrights allowed, that if it were possible to take photos then you could transcribe the info required from them at you leisure at home. As long as the info were readable you'd also have a convenient reference point to go back to if needed.

Comment

There are several blank PR template forms on the Internet so you might want to print some of these off before you go to view the film. It will make transcribing a lot quicker.
                    You will find some blank templates in our Reference Information and How to Guides forum - click on Downloadable Research Forms
                    Elaine

Comment

Thnaks for all this info ..
                      ... I will poodle off to Maidstone this week, and see how I get on.

Are you interested in an update aftrewards?

Comment

Originally posted by MrChips View Post
                        Thnaks for all this info ..
                        ... I will poodle off to Maidstone this week, and see how I get on.

Are you interested in an update aftrewards?
                        Yes we certainly are!!
                        Margaret

Comment

When I went the machine was broken that I wanted to use to copy off the film.

However you may find someone else is researching the same area and may have ordered some films in - as in my case - we shared them.

We were also allowed to look in the cupboard to see what films were around.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

My centre allows you to take a digital photo of one entry, (or one page, if that is necessary because of the layout of the page). I don't think they would be very happy if you tried to photograph the whole film.

However, they do like to be ASKED! It really really annoys me when I see people taking sneaky digital photos of an entry rather than pay ten pence for a photocopy!

Considering the Research centres are funded entirely by donation, it doesn't hurt to throw ten pence in the pot, or maybe even a bit more if what you have found is useful/you've been there ages/you've been there every day for a month.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                              Are you interested on how I get on at the IGI?
                              Yes we certainly are!!
                              Margaret
                              Interesting!
                              Having worked out 4 films that I would like to investigate, I telephoned my local IGI twice, but got no reply.
                              Thier website advises that Maidstone is open every Thursday morning ... so I went along.
                              The research centre was closed ... but I happened to disturb a small meeting of three ladies who advised me that the centre was closed until second week in Septemeber, and was open just three times a week thereafter.
                              I am by no means complaining about them being closed ... I presume all of this is run by a group of loyal helpers,..... but I was told that the Church will not change the website to reflect Maidstone's actual openeing hours, thereby creating a few troublesome moments for the helpers. I also get the impression that they only operate on a 'booking' basis.

So the message is to make sure with an answered telephone call before. Don't drop in on the off-chance, based on what the website says.

But then, perhaps I am telling you all what you already know!

I have no problem waiting until mid-September ... still lots of other things to get on with.

Comment

The times have changed at my local centre too but not relected on the site. Definately all done by booking. I just have to keep ringing until I get an answer (maybe I should have asked for the new times!)

Originally posted by MrChips View Post
                                Interesting!
                                Having worked out 4 films that I would like to investigate, I telephoned my local IGI twice, but got no reply.
                                Thier website advises that Maidstone is open every Thursday morning ... so I went along.
                                The research centre was closed ... but I happened to disturb a small meeting of three ladies who advised me that the centre was closed until second week in Septemeber, and was open just three times a week thereafter.
                                I am by no means complaining about them being closed ... I presume all of this is run by a group of loyal helpers,..... but I was told that the Church will not change the website to reflect Maidstone's actual openeing hours, thereby creating a few troublesome moments for the helpers. I also get the impression that they only operate on a 'booking' basis.

So the message is to make sure with an answered telephone call before. Don't drop in on the off-chance, based on what the website says.

But then, perhaps I am telling you all what you already know!

I have no problem waiting until mid-September ... still lots of other things to get on with.
                                Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Hello again Mr Chips

All the FHCs are run by volunteers and many of them will close during August or for school holidays. It can be difficult to find people to cover shifts during holiday times. I looked online at the opening times of the centre where I work and they are incorrect. Bearing in mind that the staff are all volunteers, sometimes "life" gets in the way of things and sometimes sessions have to be caneclled at short notice.

I would suggest ringing between 10am and 1pm weekdays as most centres will be open some days of the week and you should eventually find someone there - honest.

If you fancy a trip a bit further up the road than Maidstone, why not come to Orpington (I'm there some weeks). We are open in August on Tuesday, Wednesday and every 1st and 3rd Thursday in the month, 10am to 1pm. Also, Thursday evenings but not during August. Saturday morning is strictly by prior arrangement as it does not open if there are no appointments booked.

Hope this is useful - it would be nice to put a name to a face.

Pat

PS, I do the Thursday mornings.

Comment

Hello again Mr Chips

Hope this is useful - it would be nice to put a name to a face.

Pat

PS, I do the Thursday mornings.
                                    Elderflower .

... sounds good to me.
                                    My trusted satNav advises it is only 10 minutes further away than Maidstone.
                                    Do you have copy facilities at Orpington?

Shame I have missed the 3rd Thursday by a day!

Unfortunately Tuesdays and Wednesdays are bad days for me .... but I am sure that I can make one day.... I will check my diary!

Comment

Unfortunately there are no copying facilities at Orpington, it's a very small centre. It's at the start of the roas that leads to the bus terminus. There is plenty of parking space at the back of the Church. The FHC is a small room at the back of the building.

The next Thursday session will be the first Thursday in September, 10am to 1pm. I think it's a bit more than 10 minutes from Maidstone, but who am I to argue with your Sat Nav - I do that with ours!!

Don't know if you might find Crawley easy to get to. This is the main FHC in the area and will be a lot bigger than Orpington. I'm afraid I have no details regarding opening times but feel sure they have longer opening hours and possibly copying facilities. It might be worth giving them a call.

Hope this helps.

Pat
                                      Last edited by Elderflower; 21-08-09, 19:26. Reason: Extra info added

Comment

If you are in Kent you may as well travel up to Hyde Park - they even have late nights. I live near Aylesbury & we have closer centres but my husband always went to Hyde Park as they have the Irish GRO Index & permanently have quite a few films. There is also a big library (relatively speaking).
                                        Glen

Comment

Working...
                                        X