No announcement yet.

Help tracing an emigration (US) please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help tracing an emigration (US) please?

So I’ve found my first US émigré!

Another extended family member researching our family tree has found our first US emigrant family. We’ve found them (and seen the image) on the 1880 US Federal census and Ancestry also shows a search result for them on the 1870 census – neither of us have seen the image for this. I’d like to be able to trace their outgoing passage if possible – can I give the details here for someone to look up if that’s okay? I do have Ancestry Premium but that doesn’t cover immigration/emigration records. Many thanks,

Kate

Hi Kate
    I don't know which Ancestry I've got, but I will have a look for you, if you want to pm me details... I'll see if I can access them.

Al I know is it costs me a fortune

bubblebelle
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Have tried to pm you, but don't know if it's gone through. Got a veeery strange screen when I pressed send

Comment

I've had a look around Ancestry but so far nix, other than I pm'd you. I don't know if anyone with FMP may have better luck and why I am posting here.

bubblebelle
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

FMP only has outgoing passenger lists from 1890.

You could try:

Castle Garden

Comment

Thanks ever so much all. It's very frustrating not being able to find the rest of the family apart from William, the father. I checked the Castle Garden site and there's nothing on there for any of the family unfortunately. The family are not in my direct line but a gggg uncle and family, but it was still exciting to find. And one of the children seems to pop up on search results for the Indiana census right up to the 1930 one!

Comment

Ellis Island site?

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

To early for the Ellis Island site I'm afraid. If no one minds I'll post the details here anyway - all ideas welcomed! Bubblebelle has been so helpful, and it would be nice if we could find trace of the rest of the family's entry.

Phooey, can't get the file up. Will post again tomorrow,

Kate x

Comment

Morning again all. These are the details I have. Bubblebelle has found an entry for William in Nov 1865 on the Caledonian Glasgow-New York crossing, but absolutely nothing for Hannah and the children. So it would appear that William goes first shortly after Edmund's birth, and presumably Hannah follows later with their two young children, the third Fred being born in New York in 1869.

Parents:
                  William Stockton born 1839 Knutton, Wolstanton, Staffordshire
                  Hannah Stockton (nee Foden) born 1842 Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire. They marry in 1860.

Children:
                  Ann (or Anna) Stockton born 1861/62 England (haven’t been able to track this birth successfully yet)
                  Edmund Stockton born 1865 Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland/Tyne & Wear
                  Fred W Stockton born 1869 New York, USA

So there's a relatively short time frame for the migration 1865 to 1869. I'm very grateful for all your help, you guys are amazing when it comes to bits like this!

Kate x

Comment

There's a Wm Stockton age 26 arriving in New York on the Caledonian on 27 Nov 1865 - he's on his own. I have saved the image and the transcript if you want them.
                    Margaret

Comment

Can't see anything for Hannah and the children going over.
                      Margaret

Comment

Kate P,
                        I looked at the image for William and family on the 1870 and it shows his wife as Harriet! So I'll see if I can see her under that name going across. Also does this cast doubt on it being your relative?
                        Margaret
                        PS his occupation is Potter.

Comment

Can't find anything under Harriet or Edmund on the passenger lists.
                          Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, I'd love to see the transcript and image if that's possible. Potter would fit perfectly as an occupation as he and his wife are from Stoke on Trent - the home of the potteries! And good grief I'm an idiot - his wife's name is Harriet, not Hannah - can't believe I posted the wrong info :o I think ultimately I'm not going to be able to definitively tie my certain William to the William who travelled out (with or without wife & kids at this rate, unless they grew wings and flew?!). There are 9 William Stockton's born between 1838 and 1840, 4 of which are in my county Staffordshire. The biggest stumbling block is that neither of the UK born children will be on a census here as they're both born after the 1861 was taken and have emigrated by the 1871, so I can't pin the family together before emigration, only after. On the 'for emigration' side however there are no apparent census entries for any of the family under whatever search combinations I could think of on the 1871.

Although, how about this, I would have to order one of the English born children's birth certs wouldn't I? That should give me MMN, and if it's at all possible getting Fred's US birth cert should confirm it nicely as a follow up. Edmund is probably the easiest hit, as there is only one Edmund Stockton born in England at all between 1861 and 1889. Nor are there any other Ed* Stockton births between 1864-1866 acc'g to freebmd. Well there's an Edith but I don't htink she counts...

So anyone know how I go about sourcing US certs?! :D

(I like these smilies - hope I don't annoy anyone!)
                            Last edited by Kate P; 18-08-09, 09:33. Reason: I'm a muppet! Can't get my dates right...

Comment

If you pm me your email address I'll send the census image etc.
                              Do you want any others?
                              Not sure about birth certs in US it's difficult to find the records but I guess there would be no problem in that they are over 100 years ago.
                              Margaret

Comment

I have searched this site Public Records Search & Free Vital Records Archive Information but not found any record of Frederick's birth nor of Wiiliam and Harriet's deaths. I don't think the records are complete so it's a question of checking lots of places for your names. There are some cemetery listings on this site so they might help to contact them direct.
                                Margaret

Comment

Many thanks Margaret, have pm'd you x

Comment

Working...
                                  X