Modern conversions of old sums of money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern conversions of old sums of money

Leading on from convictions for transportation, does anyone know of a website that lets you calculate modern equivilents of old sums of money.

In my case a sideways ancestor was convicted of stealing six shillings in about 1790 and I am wondering what that would be in todays money. It must have been a considerable sum as originally he was given the death sentence that was converted to transportation for life.

Hi Lorraine,
    Try this site: Take a break | Currency converter
    Sarah

Comment

Take a break | Currency converter

Measuring Worth - Purchasing Power of British Pound

Comment

It wasn't all that much. People were given the death sentence for very minor offences.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          It wasn't all that much. People were given the death sentence for very minor offences.
          You aren't kidding, how despicable. Transporting someone for around £70-80. I thought he had to be a Ronald Biggs of his day, though in real terms what could you buy then as opposed to now?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            In Bodmin Jail there's list of people who were hanged and the crime they had commited. Things such as stealing rings, stealing 3 sheep, stealing 1 ox, housebreaking and robbery. A 20 year old woman hanged for setting fire to a mow of corn.
            Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

there is a few links in our wiki

General History - Family Tree Forum
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

my cousins ancestor was deported to australia for stealing a handkerchief!

Comment

A witness at my great great grandfathers wedding had been transported to Tasmania for 7 years for having three wives.

YOu would think he was glad of the holiday....but he got married again.

Comment

Working...
                  X