Where do you go to find info on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you go to find info on

An ancestor who came over to England with William the Conqueror?

At a family reunion yesterday I was told by older cousins that our Pop told them the first Bateman, a George Bateman came over with William in 1066.
    How do you research this please?

MACPANDA'S FAMILY **Please click in**

Have you tried the Doomsday Book??? Not sure if that would have anything.

Billy had over 10,000 men with him when he arrived apparently so could well have come then.

I'm not sure how Bateman came about (I have Batmans) but I know the Gordons came from Spain to Scotland and a lot of the families working for the original Gordons then took on the name Gordon as theirs, so could be similar.

Comment

Rudyard Kipling's home was called Batemans. Apparently it is close to Battle.......getting warmer....lol

Comment

uuummm yep Libby Doomsday Book sounds good but where do you find it online??????

Do you just Google it?

Comment

I believe Bateman is a Germanic name Libby. Just repeating here not a surety like most clues...lol

Comment

I think this will get you there.

The Domesday Book Online - William the Conqueror

Comment

Have a squizz here.

SurnameDB: Bateman surname meaning

Comment

Where have you got your Batemans back to??

There's a few on Curious Fox.

Comment

William Bateman 1510 - 1586 married Joane Maynard 1512 - 1597

They had 2 sons William 1531 - 1607 born Oldland Glocestershire
                  ..........................Staunton 1531 (no death date)

William married Ann Wilcox 1558 - 1593
                  Our family are down from this William............don't as me to tell you the rest cause this William married twice and his son Thomas had 3 then there is all the Williams in one family which is really confusing until you work out their death dates and realise that William goes to the male child until one lives to carry the name on...........major headache...lol

Staunton married Jane Ewer 1576 (no death date on her either but their youngest of 7 was born 1594)

Comment

No Bateman turns up in land holders in the Doomsday Book

That Bateman surname meaning is interesting ... I've emailed to see if the One Name Study link is the same family... I didn't recognise any names but worth a try.

Thank you Libby.

Comment

There's the Battle Abbey Roll which was made by the Battle Abbey monks BUT (did you spot that it's a big but) the original roll has ben lost for centuries, one of what is likely to have been a copy of a copy is here

The Battle Abbey Roll - Auchinleck Manuscript - National Library of Scotland

but I think there may be other lists as I recall finding a name not listed here when I went to Battle (Bannister). Battle Abbey was not a wealthy foundation unlike somewhere like Fountains Abbey it has been suggested that if you were generous with your cash your name might suddenly appear (ink still wet)

Just found something on google books

Contents: The Tattoo and Tribal Name. Sire Names. Totemism and Names. Castle and the Manor. The Village. The Town: Trade Names. Place Names. Anglo Saxon Names. Scandinavian Names. The Roll of Battle Abbey. French Names: Early; The Huguenot Refugees. Nick and Descriptive Names. Prefixes and Suffixes. Name Stories. The Evolution and Disintegration of Surnames. Scottish and Irish Surnames. Changed Names. Compound Names.

Hey presto my Bannister appears on this one, no Bateman though
                      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 17-08-09, 08:53. Reason: added google book

Comment

Hi Jill thanks for the link and advise and for showing interest in my question. I'll give them a go as well.

Comment

There is a book: "My Ancestor came over with the Conqueror, how can I find out more about him" by Anthony Camp.

Any family with a provable claim is bound to have a pedigree in print. The problem is that
                          • Surnames did not exist then
                          • The link might be on a female line
                          Not to mention the fact that those who did "come over with the Conqueror" wouldn't be the then great & the good, but the foot soldiers, with no past.
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Nope your right no Bateman in either of them Jill....thank you all the same.

Comment

Oh Phoenix are you telling me I have another brickwall here...lol....I'll soon put the Great Wall of China to shame...lol.

Thank you for the info mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X