Any ideas pre 1837 please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas pre 1837 please!!

Hi, could someone kindly give me any ideas as to finding an ancestor pre 1837 - unfortunately I have absolutely no idea who the parents were and have no great evidence as to where they were born.

My 3 x gt grandmother Esther Hubbard (nee Wallis) married in 1822 and appeared on the 1841 census in George Street, Shoreditch aged 40 together with her husband and children, this census does state that she was born in the same county. Unfortunately in 1847 she died and the death certificate states that she was aged 50 which now gives me a birth year of 1797 (apparently the 1841 census returns used to round the ages up or down)?!, she was also still living in George Street, Shoreditch.

If I do not know the place of birth but just have a "county" to go on - do I presume that Esther was born in Shoreditch or should I be looking the whole of London. The copy of her marriage does not give any clues either in respect of witnesses!!

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

Regards.

Tina

Familysearch.org is a good site for pre-1837 records of BMDs if you are lucky you may find a baptism record with her parents listed.
    How do you know she was married in 1822?
    Margaret

Comment

St Leonards church Shoreditch and St Luke, Old street Finsbury, are where most of my London ancestors were baptised Tina, if this is of any help to you. I believe most of their PR's are at the LMA, if you can get there.
      Otherwise there are some very obliging people on here who may be able to do you a look up.
      Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Hi Tina

At least Wallis isn't as common as Smith!

Generally you start with the likeliest parish - where Esther was married or her children baptised, and look at parish baptisms there and then spread out to the neighbouring parishes.

How accurate is her hsuabnd's age in 1841/1851? Esther was probably about the same age, as a rough guide.

Of course if she had a daughter called Euphemia, or something unlikely and you find a baptism for an Esther Wallis mother's name Euphemia, you could be fairly certain you had the right one.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi all

Thanks everyone for replying to my post!! - firstly in answer to one of the questions in respect of the marriage, I was lucky enough to get a copy of their marriage record from the LMA having initially found it or at least the entry on Ancestry.co.uk.

Little Nell: with reference to that lovely name Euphemia, if only!! - at the time of the 1841 census there were in fact two females who also shared the "Hubbard" surname, Im guessing they are Esthers daughters, this particular census only gives brief info and having no relationship column does not help at all - unfortunately Ive not yet found their births either even though I've managed to find the male siblings (i.e my gt gt grandfather and his brother) who were also living in the same household at this time - these were found on the IGI born in Shoreditch and again I've got copies of the parish record obtained from the LMA.

I was hoping to get up to the LMA in the last few weeks, but unfortunately not managed it yet so I may well see if there is a obliging person that would do a look-up for me

Thank you all very much again

Tina T x

Comment

Tina, there is a baptism that is worth checking, but the date is slightly out.

(From Dockland Ancestors)

Esther Wallace
            Father William Wallace Mariner
            Mother Mary
            Birth date: 1st Feb 178
            Baptism: 3rd Jan 1789
            St John Green Bank
            Address: Well Close Square, Wapping
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by TinaT View Post
              My 3 x gt grandmother Esther Hubbard (nee Wallis) married in 1822 and appeared on the 1841 census in George Street, Shoreditch aged 40 together with her husband and children, this census does state that she was born in the same county. Unfortunately in 1847 she died and the death certificate states that she was aged 50 which now gives me a birth year of 1797 (apparently the 1841 census returns used to round the ages up or down)?!, she was also still living in George Street, Shoreditch.

If I do not know the place of birth but just have a "county" to go on - do I presume that Esther was born in Shoreditch or should I be looking the whole of London. The copy of her marriage does not give any clues either in respect of witnesses!!

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

Regards.

Tina
              The 1841 census enumerators were supposed to round down ages to the next 5-or-0 below, except that 14 and under were given "accurately" (inasmuch as such a word is ever appropriate for census info!). That means:
              1-14 ~ actual ages
              15 = 15-19
              20 = 20-24
              25 = 25-29
              30 = 30-34
              and so on.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi peeps

Thank you both Elizabeth and Christine: funnily enough I've been sniffing around the Dockland Ancestors, but didn't have much luck in finding that name, I will take a look but agree the date is a little out. Elizabeth re the 1841, this sounds about right as Esthers age should have read 44 (if death age is correct??) - I was just about to place a look up request at the LMA just in case there is anyone that might have a bit of time of their hands.

Thank you both again for your time.

TinaT x

Comment

Not forgetting that the ages were supposed to be NOW ages. By which I mean, you weren't supposed to record the age as 21, say, just because the birthday was any day soon. If you hadn't got to the 21st birthday then you were still 20. The censuses were taken mostly at the turn of March/april (1841 was early June). You can get really good info from the Wiki section about the censuses.
                  The date-of-birth estimator at the top-left of the page is quite handy to suss out the actual years which would be possible.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X