Another one's gone AWOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one's gone AWOL

This time it's from the 1881 census - trying to find ggf Alfred Hiles, born 1864 Oxford St Clement, Oxfordshire. His family, mother Sarah and brother ans sister are listed but there is no sign of him. I've tried searching under Hiles, Hills, Niles, just Alfred and just Hiles but still can't find him. Any suggestions anyone?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Do you know his occupation in 1891?

There is an Alfred Miles aged 18 Lodger occupation Railway Engine Cleaner Born Milton Sub Wychwood, Oxfordshire (RG11; Piece: 1304; Folio: 43; Page: 1)

Nothing else jumping out at the moment, but I will keep looking
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

He was a Boot and Shoe maker in 1891, staying with his brother Henry.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

There's a William HILES, 15, general labourer, in Radcliffe Infirmary; but he's probably the one aged 29, with Lydia and family in 1891.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-08-09, 20:38.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

In 1871 he's with his family in St Clement. The father's a general labourer, but one of the older sons is a baker, so they're obviously aiming to learn trades.

There's a 9-year-old William in the 1871 family. That's a bit confusing: the one in hospital in 1881 has Alfred's age, but has William's name???

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-08-09, 20:49.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That's very interesting, as far as I can tell all the Hiles born in St Clements at that time were part of the same family, so it does look as though a mistake was made on the name, possibly at the infirmary - shame it doesn't say what he was in for. I think this is the best we are likely to find for him. By the way the Baker became a Biscuit Baking Engineer in 1891, which I think is a lovely sounding occupation!

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

Unless they were both in the hospital and the enumerator conflated them into a single person? I don't think there's another William HILES of suitable background to be the one you'd expect.

Christine

Comment

William (aged 19) is at home with his mother and sister Ellen for the census. Maybe William took Alfred to the infirmary and gave his name by mistake? We'll never know, but this does seem the most likely fit. I'll mark it down as a probable.

Linda
                Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  William (aged 19) is at home with his mother and sister Ellen for the census. Maybe William took Alfred to the infirmary and gave his name by mistake? We'll never know, but this does seem the most likely fit. I'll mark it down as a probable.

Linda
                  Yes! You can easily imagine it - it would be the same as the women who give their own father's names for birth certs, instead of the child's father's name - or who put an X when they're quite capable of signing only because the man told them to "mark your mark here". if the reception person just said "Name?", then William might well have answered with his own name instead of his brother's.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                  X