Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Emelia Lawson born c. 1864?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Emelia Lawson born c. 1864?

I have Emelia Lawson on the 1871 census with her family.

Class: RG10; Piece: 3359; Folio: 14; Page: 22
    10 Rutland Street Grantham Lincolnshire

However, I can't find her again. I can't find any record of her birth, either.
    In 1881 she isn't with her family.

An added complication is that her elder sister is Mary Amelia Lawson (entered and transcribed as Mary E Lawson in 1871). Mary was born in 1860.

Is she lurking under another name? Did she die? I'm not having much luck with her at present.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I dont have ancestry so who are her family?
    there is a mary a e lawson servant in 1881 - could she have amalgamated all names??
    rg11 3210/88 page9
    Last edited by jean; 16-08-09, 14:19.
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Nope, I can't find her either. As there is no record of her birth either, I'm thinking that Mary and Emelia/Amelia are one and the same person. Probably a bit of a mix up on the enumerator's part...perhaps with her name being Mary Amelia but possibly being known as Amelia then the enumerator has taken them to be different children and eleven and seven sound similar????

I guess the only way to find out would be to search the parish registers
      Jeanette
      Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Have you tried looking for her as Emily or Emma? I haven't found a birth for either of those, but they're the names that I've found used interchangeably with Amelia/Emilia.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I tried looking under Emma and Emily ;)
          Jeanette
          Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

I tried looking under Emma and Emily
            Thought you probably would have done!

scuda
            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thank you all for looking.

I also wondered if this is a double entry.

Mary Amelia Lawson was born Mar qr 1860, and she married into my Alexander family -
              she married Samuel Alexander in Mar qr 1882 in Chorlton Lancs.

Mary is down as "Mary E" in the 1871 census although she is "Mary Amelia". And then "Emelia" appears. I too think perhaps the enumerator was getting confused!

I have found birth registrations for her other siblings - William Alfred, Fred and Gertrude Annie.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
              X