Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my Baldry's please

This is only a twig on my tree but trying to find out about them

Spencer Baldry born 1870 Lincoln, son of William and Ann Baldry. They came to Nottingham and he married Agnes Ellen Kell in 1894 and had 2 children Spencer born 1894 and died in WW1 and Dorothy Agnes who was born and died 1899, Nottingham. Spencer was an Estate Agent and Accountant

Agnes died 1903 and he married Isabella Mary Lowrie and had 2 children Edward William 1908 and Cecilia 1910.

I know they were in Nottingham at the end of the war but have been looking on Ancestry and FMP and found Isabella and Cecilia going from Southampton to New York on 4 sep 1936 and back on 7 Oct 1936. Then Isabella on her own going to New York on 26 Nov 1938. Also her arriving in Liverpool from New York on 2 Jul 1942.

I am wondering if either Edward William or Cecilia went to live in America and was it ususal for people to travel during WW2 for pleasure. Also where was Spencer. I am not expecting anyone to search through the death indexes but wondering if anyone can look up any American records that would help me.

Sorry that took so long but trying to add all I know.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

hi lin

i got quiet excited there for a min as my cousin is married to a baldry so i thought i would trace his family and i got know where as it seem on the brith regs that his mum was not married when he was born

sorry but just thought i would share
    wye surrey/london/birmingham
    lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
    hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
    ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
    herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
    armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

From what you've said, I guess you already have this (from CWGC) about Spencer, the son:
      Son of Spencer Baldry, of 16, Devonshire Rd., West Bridgford, Nottingham, and of Isabella M. Baldry (stepmother).
      This Spencer's service record is on Ancestry - but currently labelled a "Spincer" because they've taken the name, not from the heading info, but from the form-filling bit, further down. Family (NoK) given as Spencer (father), Isabell (mother), Edward (brother), all at Cross Keys Hotel, Fletcher Gate, Nottingham.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-08-09, 17:44.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

On 24 Apr 1917, there's a memo requesting that any personal effects (of which there was none) should be sent to Isabell Mary Baldry - not the father?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

1903-1908, there was a Spencer Baldry in the phonebook for Nottingham - an accountant in Bridlesmith gate.

Christine

Comment

There's at least one Private Member tree on Ancestry with the 1870 Spencer.

Christine

Comment

It was Isabella's sister who went to live in the States. Do you have access to the New York passenger lists on Ancestry?

If you look at the passenger list for Isabella when she went out in 1938, go to the second page. In column 23 it asks who she's going to visit, and she says "sister Ann B Lourie, 46 Watching Ave, West Orange, NJ".

Isabella gives as her next of kin in the UK her son Edward W Baldry, 56A Greenhill Road, Birmingham.

Comment

Without paying for the image, I haven't got full info, but the two Spencers (41 and 14), are in W Bridgford in 1911, along with Isabella Mary (36), Edward William (2) and Cecilia (6mo).

Christine

Comment

Anne B Lourie appears to be with her sister Elizabeth (both unmarried) in West Orange, New Jersey, in 1930 - at least that's what the transcription says. The image is hard to read.

Comment

I wonder if this is your Edward William Baldry? He died in Spain in 2000: