Hampshire R O Lookup please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hampshire R O Lookup please

Is there someone who would be willing to do a lookup at the Hampshire Records Office?

I would like to know what the Marriage Allegation shows for this couple:

The details are:

Thomas Webb of the Parish of St Thomas, New Sarum (Salisbury) married Dinah Windsor, Spinster, MINOR in the Parish Church of Ringwood on 25 February 1775 by licence.

I am hoping that as she was a minor, the licence will give her Father’s name as they must have had consent to the marriage for it to take place.

I have looked online at the Hampshire Records Office holdings and they appear to have an index to the Marriage Allegations at the office. I am hoping that they may have the actual Allegation too.

I would be most garteful if anyone is visiting Hampshire R O and would do this for me.

Thankyou - in anticipation.

Pat

I've looked in the Winchester index, and the allegation doesn't appear there.

That means it must have been from a different Diocese (or at a higher level). Besides, Salisbury is its own Diocese. Shouldn't you be looking in the Wiltshire RO? ... Ah, no. Ringwood is in Hants, of course!

It's also unlikely that there actual allegation survives - but still worth checking. I did manage to get a copy of a Licence from Lambeth a year or so ago.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-08-09, 12:05.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine

I did wonder if there might be an Allegation in Wiltshire too, but thought that as the marriage took place in Hampshire, that would be the best place to look.

Anyone have any more ideas on this? Never had to find out anything about Marriage Allegations before so this is a new area of research for me.

Pat

Comment

Sometimes people went to "the top", so it could be a Canterbury licence - that's via Lambeth.
        Family History | LAMBETH PALACE LIBRARY
        Marriage Records | LAMBETH PALACE LIBRARY
        The Library holds a small amount of marriage records, principally bonds and allegations relating to those married by licence issued under the Archbishop of Canterbury.
        They have a pdf research guide you can download.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thankyou Christine. I will study those documents and possibly prepare for a visit to Lambeth Palace. I live not too far from London so access is not difficult.

Pat

Comment

Have looked at the documents now and they show that the index to these Marriage Allegations is online at British Origins. Did a free name search on there and there is no listing for Dinah Windsor but over 800 for Thomas Webb. Looks like there was not one for my couple.

Looking through an old file I found some searches I had done ( and paid per answer) for Sarum Marriage Allegations. This was a few years ago now and the searches I did was for a slightly earlier period than I now need. On looking again at the site to do another search in the 1775 timeframe, I realised that I had originally found them on Family History Online which has now transferred most of it's databases to Find My Past.

For the life of me, I cannot seem to find if that database has been moved to FMP. Anyone any ideas where this might be online? I don't mind paying on a pay per view basis if it's still out there as I am wondering if my couple's marriage might be listed in the Sarum index as Winchester and the higher ones have drawn a blank.

Can anyone offer any further advice please?

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post

Looking through an old file I found some searches I had done ( and paid per answer) for Sarum Marriage Allegations. This was a few years ago now and the searches I did was for a slightly earlier period than I now need. On looking again at the site to do another search in the 1775 timeframe, I realised that I had originally found them on Family History Online which has now transferred most of it's databases to Find My Past.

For the life of me, I cannot seem to find if that database has been moved to FMP. Anyone any ideas where this might be online? I don't mind paying on a pay per view basis if it's still out there as I am wondering if my couple's marriage might be listed in the Sarum index as Winchester and the higher ones have drawn a blank.

Can anyone offer any further advice please?

Pat
              The Sarum Marriage Licence Bonds database is on FMP. I had a quick look, myself, but couldn't see a Dinah WINDSOR in the right timeframe, nor a Thomas WEBB with a relevant bride - even looking in other databases which are searched at the same time. That's not to say that you wouldn't find something with more determination, of course.

Christine

Comment

Thankyou so much for that Christine. I think I might shelve the search for this Marriage Allegation for the time being.

In looking at that old file, I have spotted something that gives me a possible clue to Dinah's parents. I have previously searched the Ringwood PRs and had noted a death for a Dinah Windsor, wife of Stephen. Now, Dinah and Thomas's first child was named Stephen Winzer Webb. It's my guess that her parents were possibly Stephen and Dinah
                and I found a recent entry on Freereg for their marriage in the right timeframe in a place called Winterslow in Wilts. I Googled Winterslow and it is very near Salisbury so the right area as well. I will search for PR Baptisms for this place and see if I can find her Baptism.

This is the first real clue I have had on her parents. It goes to show that coming back to research a brick wall after a long break can sometimes spark new ideas. This is not the first time I have experienced this.

Thank you again for your help with the MA searches.

Pat

Comment

Hi Pat,
                  I am also looking for the same family, i have lots of info on the Webbs and alot on Thomas and Dinah's son Stephen, i had the info that Thomas married Dinah but did not know he had married before, how do you know his dad was John as i thought his name was Thomas, would be happy to share information with you.

Regards
                  Tracey

Comment

Hi Tracy

At last, someone researching my Webb line. This one is direct from my Father. I know that Thomas's father was called John from a will I have had for some years. It was quite by chance, back in early 2000, that I found a will for a Thomas Pearce. I was able to find this through an index of Wiltshire Wills Beneficiaries that used to be online but seemed to disappear when Family History Online was taken over by FMP.

The will lists all of Thomas's children, plus his Brothers and his Father. From this I have been able to glean lots of info about his family and have traced most of them. I am descended from Thams and Dinah's son Henry.

If you would like a copy of the will PM me your email address. I will have to scan it into my computer and this could take a few days as I will not be able to do it until the weekend, but I will do it if you would like it. I have been unable to find out why Thomas Pearce left money to this family, other than the will states that he copied it from the will of his wife Ann. Anne died before her husband and I also have no idea why she left this money to every living member of that family.

Since I started this thread 2 years ago, I have found that Dinah's parents were Stephen Windsor and Dinah Whitlock. She was Baptised 26/12/1755 in Pitton, Wilts.

I am sure we have lots of info we could exchange and I look forward to contacting you via email.

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
                      Hi Tracy

<snip>
                      If you would like a copy of the will PM me your email address. I will have to scan it into my computer and this could take a few days as I will not be able to do it until the weekend, but I will do it if you would like it. I have been unable to find out why Thomas Pearce left money to this family, other than the will states that he copied it from the will of his wife Ann. Anne died before her husband and I also have no idea why she left this money to every living member of that family.

<snip>.
                      Faced with a large document you don't want to damage, it might be worth taking digital photos, using the macro function of your camera, rather than trying to get an old Will onto the screen of a scanner. That is what we have done in the past. If you can find a way of having the camera at a fixed distance vertically above the document, and pointing down, that would be optimal; indeed if you can find any way of having the camera at a fixed distance at 90º to the document that is best - but keeping the document flat seems the likeliest way of avoiding damage to it.

Our best digital photos of a family Will were obtained by giving it on permanent loan to the (Winchester) Hants RO, who then emailed us the images (at our request). They then have the document in safe-keeping in optimal conditions, and anyone who has an interest can see it in supervised conditions; and we got first class images for our use.

Christine

Comment

Thankyou Christine for reminding me I can do that. I have a tripod so will be able to take a photo at 90 degrees. The will I have is a photocopy though and an OK size for my scanner although I think the photo idea will be quicker. I might experiment anyway and try using the skills I learned on a recent DSLR photography course

Comment

Working...
                        X