Sarah And David

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah And David

sarah ellen evans nee hughes and david rees' marriage certificate came today.
    They were married 10th december 1907. Sarah 32 years old and a widow. David 29 years old and also a widower. David was a "hauler underground".

David's father was called David Rees and was deceased by 1907.
    I have to find a david rees with a father david rees in wales! not going to be easy i dont think lol David Rees Snr was a labourer.

Sarah's father, William Hughes, (so my grandad was named after her dad) was a plasterer.

Seeing as sarah was married before 1907 i decided to look for her 1st on the 1881 census and she would be with her father then and have the hughes name.
    I'm 99% sure this is them, but would like a second opinion
    Ancestry.co.uk

had a look at the 1891 census and cannot find them
    Last edited by scorpioleah; 13-09-09, 11:46.

Can you post the ref, please? piece/folio/page

I use a different browser for Ancestry, so the link gets in a tangle!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Here it is Christine
      RG11; Piece: 5575; Folio: 94; Page: 9

.. and the MC is a follow on from one of Leah's earlier threads - http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...lp-please.html
      Elaine

Comment

Certainly looks like a good match Leah - and I can't see any other possibles.
        One thing that is worth looking at when you get a marriage certificate is the names of witnesses, which are very often family members - sometimes helps to tie things together.
        Elaine

Comment

the witness's are minnie davies and w.f ( i think its an f, altho not sure) jones

it does seem a good match. her age is right, birth place, fathers name and fathers job. But wanted to be 100% sure before i start following it and it ending up not being my family lol
          Last edited by scorpioleah; 15-08-09, 12:40.

Comment

Not sure that's going to be of much help with this one!

Have you found anything for your David Rees with father David?
            Elaine

Comment

searching for him now.
              did this search in ancestry
              David Rees Born 1878 +- 1, Neath, glamorgan, wales
              Father David

found 2 davids with fathers called david, same age, but born in Breconshire in 1891 census

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Here it is Christine
                RG11; Piece: 5575; Folio: 94; Page: 9

.. and the MC is a follow on from one of Leah's earlier threads - http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...lp-please.html
                Thanks, Elaine

Not sure how much I shall be able to add if you are on the case! ;)

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

found a david rees, father called david, born in neath but around 1879 in the 1881 census
                  Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

just a quick question its a bit off topic to finding them.
                    On sarah's marriage certificate, on the bit that the couple sign david has signed it but sarah's is just an x with "the mark of sarah ellen evans" next to it and on her son william's birth certificate where it says signature of informant it also has x "the mark of sarah ellen rees"

could she not write or is this comman?

Comment

Would agree that one looks worth pursuing.
                      Try to trace the family forwards to 1901 and see if you can find a death for the father before 1907.

By the way, when you are searching the census I would recommend you use a birth year with +/- 2 years, rather than 1 year, just to give a bit of allowance as they didn't always give the right year of birth on the census. In fact sometimes you even have to extend that to +/- 5 years, and in the case of a lot of women who liked to knock a few years off their age, to +/- 10 years!
                      Elaine

Comment

It's quite common. It probably meant she couldn't read/write, but also it's possible the vicar said 'make your mark here' - so she did!
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          Thanks, Elaine
                          Not sure how much I shall be able to add if you are on the case! ;)
                          Christine
                          Do have a look Christine - I would hate to send Leah off down a wrong line! :o
                          Elaine

Comment

I have had a look, and I agree - it looks convincing.

Christine

Comment

i will keep that in mind and have a wider age.

i will try and see if i can track them in 1891

edit: i cant seem to find them in england or wales in 1891
                              Last edited by scorpioleah; 15-08-09, 13:19.

Comment

There is a David Rees age 2 born Neath with his parents David 36 and Mary Ann 28 on the 1881 census and still in the same place in 1891
                                1901 The parents are still in Neath with their other children and boarders but David is not with them.

If the son David is at 7 Quay Rd. Neath with his wife Catherine he has put on an extra 3 years...

Comment

Leah - this is the matching 1891 census
                                  - Ancestry.co.uk

and the parents in 1901
                                  - Ancestry.co.uk
                                  Elaine

Comment

the one you found was born in 1879, i estimated him to be born 78, so that could be him. i also checked the father davids jobs and the 1891 he lists himself as a general labourer. On david jnr marriage certificate he lists his father as a labourer

David's daughter elizabeth was born around 1901 so he was most likely moved out with his wife catherine. So thats looking very likely to be his parents
                                    Last edited by scorpioleah; 15-08-09, 14:06.

Comment

has anyone managed to find sarah and her parents in 1891 and her parents in 1901?
                                      ive had a look and found nothing
                                      heres them in 1881 Ancestry.co.uk

and thank you to everyone whos helping me, im very gratefull

Comment

Is this Sarah & her parents in 1891? Mistranscribed as Hayhes but I think the image says Hughes.

- Ancestry.co.uk
                                        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
                                        X