Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheppton Homer Hunt

Hi,
    I joined the Forum some months ago but have not really had time to do a great deal about it. However, I am still having trouble finding any more informatiopn about my grandfather, Wheppton Homer Hunt, married to Violetta Haskey in 1898. They had a number of children, one of whom was my father,. Ben Hunt, born on 10 June 1910. I have found the family in both 1901 and 1911 Census forms and I find that his father was called Thomas Hunt, married to Elizabeth Hunt and he was a foreman in a Fustian factory (velvet) in Warrington. However, Thomas, according to 1881 census had two sons, Thomas aged 9 in 1881, Alfred aged 14 and he had a daughter, Elizabeth aged 11. They lived inPlatt Square, St Peters, Warrington. If there is anyone who knows of these people, perhaps they could help me to check to see if Wheppton changed his name from Thomas to the one on his marriage certificate. Perhaps there is someone who is a descendant of this family, I woulod be very grateful for any information I can get. Thank you,
    Incidentally, my grandmother, Violettra had a brother who emigrated to Canada in the 1930@s wioth his family. One son, named Bernard maried twice and his second wife, it is believed is or has lived in Calgary. Her surname would be Haskey. I understand that she and Bernard had two sons, also living in Calgary. Any information about this family, too, would be greatly appreciated.
    Margaret P.

Margaret,
    I've moved this from the general board to the Research Qs & As forum in the hope someone can help.
    Elaine

Comment

Margaret,
      On the 1911 census what does Whepton give for his year and place of birth.
      I see the 1901 census gives his year of birth as c1877 Lancashire, but I see you have a tree on Ancestry where you have his place of birth as Macclesfield Cheshire c1864.

On the marriage certificate of Whepton and Violet, what does it give for his father's occupation. Who are the witnesses for the marriage.
      Elaine

Comment

Elaine,
        Thanks for the interest. Yes, I originally thought that he was born in Macclesfield, but it seems that his parents lived in Warrington, Cheshire and he was born around 1876. His father's occupation was a Fustian cutter manufacturer and according to the 1881 census the family lived in Platt Street St Peters Warrington Lancashire. Thje marriage topok place in Pontefract Registry office on 13 July, 1898. He was 21 and Violetta Haskey was 18. The witnesses were Ann Elizabeth Haskey and John Haskey. My grandfather had, reputedly, run away from home and had ended up in Yorkshire. The only other reference I have for his family is that he had written to his parents when his youngest daughter was about 8, Florence was born in 1908, and they sent him a parcel containing some velvet to make a dress for Florence. Whether he changed his name from Thomas I don't know, but according to the 1881 census Thomas was 9 at that time
        Thank you for your interest
        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretparrish View Post
          His father's occupation was a Fustian cutter manufacturer
          Can I ask if this is what was stated on the marriage certificate, or what you found from the census?
          Elaine

Comment

Warrington used to be Cheshire. I cannot see birth for Wheppton Homer Hunt on either chesh or lancs bmd. there are 2 Thomas born Warrington 1872.
            Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

On Cheshire bmd, Alfred 1867, Elizabeth A 1870, Thomas 1872
              Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Wheppton sounds like a very odd name, and Thomas, in old-fashioned script, could easily be mistaken for Homer (which would be a very uncommon English name).

Could you scan the marriage cert and post it on this thread? You'll need to crop part of it (e.g. the date) so you don't breach copyright. It's best to upload the scan to a photosharing site like photobucket, otherwise it's likely to be too small.

Instructions here:

Reference Information and How to Guides - Family Tree Forum

Comment

I have been trying to find out more about my grandparents, Wheppton Homer Hunt, but o success. I have seen the 1901 census, 1911 census and each one states that he was born in Warrington, Lancs, his father was Thomas, a Fustian cutter and manufacturer.
                  However, no actual record of his birth anywhere. Perhaps, as some of you have said, he could have changed his Christian name from Thomas.
                  I have had more luck with his wife, Violetta Haskey, born in Hunslet Leeds, Yorks. Her family originated in Wariwckshire, her father's family were workers on the railway. I can only presume that sometime in the 1860's they moved to Leeds. Violetta's brother, Samuel Haskey, was a member of the Salvation Army in Barnsley, before emigrating with the whole of his family to Canada. His son, Bernard married, divorced and then remarried and had two boys? I understand that Bernard is now dead and that his family are now living in Calgary.I am also researching my maternal grandparents, both married and lived in Hunslet, Leeds, but originated from Selly Oak, Birmingham. Their names were Mercy Southall and Thomas Coley. If anyone knows of any further info. about these I would be very grateful
                  Thank you for your help previously

Comment

Hi - here's the marriage for Mercy and Thomas -
                    Marriages Dec 1906
                    COLEY Thomas King's N. 6c 859
                    SOUTHALL Mercy King'sN 6c 859
                    Not sure if you had this already though....

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      Wheppton sounds like a very odd name, and Thomas, in old-fashioned script, could easily be mistaken for Homer (which would be a very uncommon English name).

Could you scan the marriage cert and post it on this thread? You'll need to crop part of it (e.g. the date) so you don't breach copyright. It's best to upload the scan to a photosharing site like photobucket, otherwise it's likely to be too small.

Instructions here:

Reference Information and How to Guides - Family Tree Forum
                      That would be a very reasonable approach... but the initial "H" is pretty clear in 1901, and the name "Homer" is pretty clear in 1911. On the other hand there seems to be no trace of this name before 1901. I have spotted a couple of names of fellow researchers into the same name though, on Ancestry and GR, plus Curious Fox. I sent Margaret a couple of PMs. Hopefully, she'll spot the potential and follow up.

You'd really think there would be something you could pick up on, with that name. It's as if he completely reinvented himself for his marriage and 1901 onward.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you for your information on both my grandad, Wheppton Homer Hunt. It is difficult to find out what do to next as it did state that his father had been a Fustian Cutter manufacturer on his marriage certificate, and he is registered on the 1901 census. There is no way I can get further back than his marriage certificate. All sites I have been on have no information on his birth and I can only think that he either changed his name or he was married twice under a different name. My aunt before she diedd told my brother that we should'nt delve too deeply into him but would give no reason why not.
                        Also thank you, Naomiatt. I do have the dates of my grandparents, Mercy and Thomas Coley's marriage and I have found by looking on the cenmsus that Mercy was born in the Worcestershire area and she had a number of siblings, her father being Joseph Southall. I am still trying to find her brother Joseph Southall, who went to live with my grandparents in Leeds for a time and then emigrated to Canada, I believe in the 1930'ss and I rfemember my mother writing to her Uncle Joe after the last war. If anyone has anything that they know about him, I would be grateful.. I think he lived in the Alberta area.
                        #THank you all for your help it is always good to hear from you

Comment

Hi - have you looked here for Canada - http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/g...022-701-e.html
                          and http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/l...p?Language=eng and

Comment

There's a surname of Whepton....wonder if that is somehow connected?? or could it be
                            W Heppton (Heppton as a last name)
                            Last edited by naomiatt; 01-11-10, 02:44.

Comment

Hi, Elaine,
                              I have a copy of the marriage certificate of Wheppton Homer Hunt and Violetta Haskey. The marriage took place in the regiser Office in the District of Pontefracr, Yorkshire. In the first column the number is 111 and they were married pn 30 July 1898/ He was registered as Wheppton Homer Hunt aged 21 years a bachelor and a coal miner living in Dowson's Buildings Featherston and his father's name and surname was Thomas Hunt (deceased) and the profession of his fatherwas written as a Foreman in a Fustian Mill. Violetta Haskey was 18 and a spinster and her occupation was registered as a Domestic Servant living in Dowson's Buidings Featherston and her father was Thomas Haskey who was an Insurance AGent. The certificate was signed by both Wheppton and Violetta in their own handwriting in the presence of (with a cross) the hand of ANn Elizabeth Haskey and John Haskey. The registrar was a Thos.Edw,Taylor and his deputy was Walter Blackburn
                              I also have a copy of the 1901 census when the family were living in Ivyridge Terrace, Hunslet, Leeds Yorks Wheppton had put his age as 24 and Violetta was 21 He was a Coal Miner Hewer and was a worker. He registered as being born in Warrington Lancashire. On the 1911 census the family were living in Hunslet. again he was registered as a Coal Miner Hewer and he was 34 years old. In the end column there is a red number concerning his nationality of 067. Violetta was his wife aged 31 years a housewife, born in Hunslet, Leeds, Yorks. With them were their children, Major aged 11 born in Castleford, Yorks, Henry aged 10 born in Hunslet, Yorks, Ida aged 7 born in Carlton, Yorks, Louisa aged 4 also born in
                              I hope that this information will be of some help, but honestly, at the moment I fel that nothing will get through this brick wall as to where and when he was born and whether that was his real name.
                              Anyway, thank you all for your help
                              Margaret P

Comment

Working...
                              X