What's Ancestry done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Ancestry done?

I've just been browsing 1841, well trying to!

What on earth have they done to the images? Squitty little box which has to be manoevred about to see the whole page, no easy way forward or backwards, acres of extraneous information down the right hand side, no way to see the reference on the sheet and most maddening of all

"Return to Search Results" sent me into a never-ending circle of everything I had looked at. The only way I could stop it was to log out and then log back in again and start the search again.

I saw with horror that 1851 is the same as well. Please tell me the other census aren't the same.

I will seriously have to think about whether I want to renew when the time comes, as this is hopeless and horrible.

Who asked for this format? Stand up and be counted!

OC

Yes it is really annoying. However if you click on Image Only on the left of the green bar above the image you get back to normal view.

Ice

Comment

Well its not really back to the old version, still not as good but better than the little screen with all the rest of the bumph showing!

Ice

Comment

It looks just the same as usual to me. Are you using the "new search"? If so, just click on "old search".

Comment

Mary

No, as far as I know I'm using old search, but I'll check they haven't sneakily switched me to new search AGAIN.

Icenianchild, thankyou for that tip, I'll try it. I didn't notice that option because there is so much other bumph on the page.

OC

Comment

I have clicked on old and clicked on new, both several times but always get the new version. Have tried several different things but looks like I am stuck with it.

Ice

Comment

its happening on the 1901 census aswell

Comment

It looks like they've changed all the censuses - I don't like it either.
                Jenny

Comment

I couldn't find any way of altering it back to the old search. It's dreadful.
                  Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I like the "new look" census image pages better than the old ones, because on the new ones you can see the source info (RG number, folio, etc.) right on the same page without having to click back and forth. I just click straight on the image link in the list of search results now, instead of first clicking on the transcription/source info page and then the image, or vice versa. You can also make corrections right on the census image page, and they now also accept corrections for estimated birth year and place of birth.
                    Last edited by Cloggie; 15-08-09, 08:58.
                    Sarah

Comment

Yes I have read that quite a few people prefer the new version and some say that they have had better searching results.

I just got on really well with the old style but expect I shall get used to the change.

I am hoping that they will get the deaths fully indexed soon to match the births and marriages. I am putting off trawling for a few in anticipation that it might not be too long!

Ice

Comment

Thank God I ' punished ' them by demanding a refund when they just helped themselves to my bank account - they may never see me again !!!

Comment

Every time the site goes down its usually for some sort of updating and one wonders in what form it will come back next!

I wish they could make the 'trees' easier to follow, so many small family groups on them appear to be completely disconnected to the rest of the tree.

Ice

Comment

Well what annoys me is I cannotr for the life of me see where you can download the image to your computer;;; can anyone tell me how to do it ??? please
                            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Babs, just right click on the census image and "Save image as".
                              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Oh right Wendy so you can do it that way can you , many thanks will have to try when I get back from paying the mute ;;cheers babe ;;

Comment

No coiuldnt wait to try as thought I tried that way , if I r. click on it all I get is little box that says properties Wends ;;

Comment

lets hope the people who correct mistakes dont make any mistakes ????
                                    I also hate it but assumed others didn't so have not said anything before .

Comment

Ahh Wendy you wont believe how you have to do it ;;;click on the help menue and there at very bottom is save to your hard drive or removable disc;;;eureck ;;;oh well now thats mastered maybe I might get used to it then ;;

Comment

I click on the actual image of the census and then choose the "save image as"

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                        X