PDA

View Full Version : What's Ancestry done?

Olde Crone Holden
15-08-09, 00:02
I've just been browsing 1841, well trying to!

What on earth have they done to the images? Squitty little box which has to be manoevred about to see the whole page, no easy way forward or backwards, acres of extraneous information down the right hand side, no way to see the reference on the sheet and most maddening of all

"Return to Search Results" sent me into a never-ending circle of everything I had looked at. The only way I could stop it was to log out and then log back in again and start the search again.

I saw with horror that 1851 is the same as well. Please tell me the other census aren't the same.

I will seriously have to think about whether I want to renew when the time comes, as this is hopeless and horrible.

Who asked for this format? Stand up and be counted!

OC

Icenianchild
15-08-09, 00:09
Yes it is really annoying. However if you click on Image Only on the left of the green bar above the image you get back to normal view.

Ice

Icenianchild
15-08-09, 00:13
Well its not really back to the old version, still not as good but better than the little screen with all the rest of the bumph showing!

Ice

Mary from Italy
15-08-09, 00:17
It looks just the same as usual to me. Are you using the "new search"? If so, just click on "old search".

Olde Crone Holden
15-08-09, 00:21
Mary

No, as far as I know I'm using old search, but I'll check they haven't sneakily switched me to new search AGAIN.

Icenianchild, thankyou for that tip, I'll try it. I didn't notice that option because there is so much other bumph on the page.

OC

Icenianchild
15-08-09, 00:28
I have clicked on old and clicked on new, both several times but always get the new version. Have tried several different things but looks like I am stuck with it.

Ice

scorpioleah
15-08-09, 01:00
its happening on the 1901 census aswell

jenoco
15-08-09, 04:03
It looks like they've changed all the censuses - I don't like it either.

Durham Lady
15-08-09, 08:45
I couldn't find any way of altering it back to the old search. It's dreadful.

Cloggie
15-08-09, 08:56
I like the "new look" census image pages better than the old ones, because on the new ones you can see the source info (RG number, folio, etc.) right on the same page without having to click back and forth. I just click straight on the image link in the list of search results now, instead of first clicking on the transcription/source info page and then the image, or vice versa. You can also make corrections right on the census image page, and they now also accept corrections for estimated birth year and place of birth. :)

Icenianchild
15-08-09, 10:11
Yes I have read that quite a few people prefer the new version and some say that they have had better searching results.

I just got on really well with the old style but expect I shall get used to the change.

I am hoping that they will get the deaths fully indexed soon to match the births and marriages. I am putting off trawling for a few in anticipation that it might not be too long!

Ice

BC
15-08-09, 10:19
Thank God I ' punished ' them by demanding a refund when they just helped themselves to my bank account - they may never see me again !!!

Icenianchild
15-08-09, 10:23
Every time the site goes down its usually for some sort of updating and one wonders in what form it will come back next!

I wish they could make the 'trees' easier to follow, so many small family groups on them appear to be completely disconnected to the rest of the tree.

Ice

borobabs
15-08-09, 10:32
Well what annoys me is I cannotr for the life of me see where you can download the image to your computer;;; can anyone tell me how to do it ??? please

WendyPusey
15-08-09, 10:56
Babs, just right click on the census image and "Save image as".

borobabs
15-08-09, 11:02
Oh right Wendy so you can do it that way can you , many thanks will have to try when I get back from paying the mute ;;cheers babe ;;

borobabs
15-08-09, 11:03
No coiuldnt wait to try as thought I tried that way , if I r. click on it all I get is little box that says properties Wends ;;

Val wish Id never started
15-08-09, 11:07
lets hope the people who correct mistakes dont make any mistakes ????
I also hate it but assumed others didn't so have not said anything before .

borobabs
15-08-09, 11:08
Ahh Wendy you wont believe how you have to do it ;;;click on the help menue and there at very bottom is save to your hard drive or removable disc;;;eureck ;;;oh well now thats mastered maybe I might get used to it then ;;

WendyPusey
15-08-09, 11:08
I click on the actual image of the census and then choose the "save image as"

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m20/wendypusey/Censussaveas.jpg

Jeanette In Yorkshire
15-08-09, 11:14
I've found that it varies depending on what census I'm looking at. Sometimes I get the new viewer and sometimes the old. I absolutely hate the new one. If I want to make the image bigger and click on 100%, it doesn't load. So I have to click back a page and then click on View Image again. :(

I always use the old search too as the results are a load of old cobblers with the new one! :(

Icenianchild
15-08-09, 11:19
On Wendy's example of page, click on orange SAVE box top right and choose the my computer option. Then it works like the old method.

Ice

Olde Crone Holden
15-08-09, 12:47
Please tell me where the census reference number is! I cannot find it!

I have checked - I'm still on Old Search but am getting this awful busy result.

I used to be able to whip down a census page by eye in about 2 seconds. It now takes absolutely ages as I have to scroll backwards and forwards and up and down. I really don't like it.

OC

Elaine ..Spain
15-08-09, 12:50
OC - to the right of the census image you have all the unnecessary bits!
There are two tabs on one of the boxes, one is Member Connect, the other is Source.
Click on Source tab for census ref.

If you want to get rid of all the extra bits around the image, then click on the button top left of image which says Image Only.

Olde Crone Holden
15-08-09, 12:51
Thanks Elaine - why didn't they call it census reference number, lol!

OC

Elaine ..Spain
15-08-09, 12:57
That would make it too easy to find! :D

Jennie H
15-08-09, 13:22
It also seems to have lost the ability to give an entire village. Many of my smaller villages only have a few pages and I could find the mistranscribed family. Now I am offered every town in the country except the village that I want :(

Christine in Herts
15-08-09, 13:41
It also seems to have lost the ability to give an entire village. Many of my smaller villages only have a few pages and I could find the mistranscribed family. Now I am offered every town in the country except the village that I want :(

I put the county and the village name and got a list of Hits. (Oxon, South Newington).
The image, itself, has both the zoom (top left) and the page-to-page (top right). I'm not sure what you've lost? :confused:

Christine

borobabs
15-08-09, 14:01
Wendy wonder why I have never got that box option to save to computer so silly how were all getting dif shots and problems with it ;;;if it aint broke why fix it , they could have just changed the colour of page green Im sure ;;

Olde Crone Holden
15-08-09, 14:40
Jennie

I have too and that is what made me so annoyed! I was trying to trawl a whole village but found I couldn't do it in the old way of starting at page one and just going forward page by page. Everytime I tried to do this it sent me into a mad loop.

Absolutely the only advantage I can see to this new arrangement is that you can do corrections on the page, but even that isn't obvious until you've clicked a few buttons and realised what it is!

I would gladly put up with the old clunky method of doing corrections in exchange for the ability to whip quickly through a whole district and be able to see the page WHOLE, without having to scroll in all directions.

OC

WendyPusey
15-08-09, 15:19
OC all you need to do is click on the arrow at the top right of the census image and it will move to the next image as before.

Mary from Italy
15-08-09, 17:42
I'm still seeing census images exactly as before.

Are those of you who can see the new layout using the Enhanced Image Viewer?

I'm still using the Basic Image Viewer. It asks me every time I begin a session whether I want to switch to the Enhanced Viewer, and I always say no.

Not sure how you get back to the basic viewer once you've started using the enhanced one. If there isn't a button for it somewhere, probably deleting your cache and cookies would make it ask you which viewer you want to use next time you open your browser. Make sure you know your passwords before deleting cookies, because I think (not sure) that your passwords will be deleted with them.

Elaine ..Spain
15-08-09, 17:50
Mary, I´m using the old search method and am not using the enhanced viewer -but am still getting the new style census page - same on both ancestry.com and ancestry.co.uk
(Using Firefox)

PS Just logged into ancestry.com and it asked me if I wanted to use Enhanced viewer - said no - but still new style page.

Mary from Italy
15-08-09, 17:54
How strange. I wonder why I'm not getting it? (not that I'm complaining...) It can't be the cache I'm seeing, because I switched my computer off last night and rebooted it just now. I'm using an old version of Firefox (1.5) and an old OS (Windows2000), but I wouldn't have thought that'd make any difference.

Cloggie
15-08-09, 18:35
I would gladly put up with the old clunky method of doing corrections in exchange for the ability to whip quickly through a whole district and be able to see the page WHOLE, without having to scroll in all directions.

OC

You don't need to scroll in all directions. As Elaine replied earlier, just click on "Image Only" in the green bar that runs along the top of the census image, and it will minimise the boxes on the right and bottom, and expand the census image to fill the screen. :)

Once you have clicked on "Image Only", it remembers that setting next time you open a census image. Then if you want to go back to the other setting with the Member Connect/Source box on the right, and the Ancestry Index box on the bottom, you just click on "View All". The next time you open an image, it will open with the last-used page setting (Image Only or View All). At least that's how it works for me.

Olde Crone Holden
15-08-09, 18:42
Like Elaine, I am still using the old style search page and everything is exactly the same as it was UNTIL I get to the images.

Clicking on the "next page" arrow at the top right of the image DOES eventually make it move to the next page, but the problem is then getting OUT of it all - clicking on Return to Search Results sends me whizzing off to everything I have previously viewed.

On the old style images, you used to be able to click backwards, then pick up the link at the top of the page which said "1861 census" or whatever. You can't do that on this new setup.

OC

Trina
16-08-09, 11:20
If the NEW SEARCh worked in the way I assume it is supposed to then it would be great - but it DOESN'T. No matter what one puts in as a definite or a priority, it comes up with something completely mad!
I recently split my tree on FH and reloaded it. The census sources are all there, but not the images so I thought OK a search should work well - all the info is the same! Not on your life! It is USELESS! Don't they test it out????

Caroline
16-08-09, 11:32
I like the way you can correct transcription errors for places now. I have been looking at some 1861 Gloucestershire records which had all been put into Glamorgan, Wales ....... I am not going to do all of them but at least it is now possible.

Jennie H
16-08-09, 12:15
I put the county and the village name and got a list of Hits. (Oxon, South Newington).
The image, itself, has both the zoom (top left) and the page-to-page (top right). I'm not sure what you've lost? :confused:

Christine

It seems to work if the placename is in their database. Unfortunately Clifton upon Teme Worcestershire is not-my first hit was for Hunslet followed by Norwich.

Jean and Tonic
16-08-09, 12:29
I thought it was only me .... I just don't like complaining (or change) .... but I've been mucking around with it that long, I've lost the will to live ..........

Why fix it when it's not broken ........

Jean

Trina
16-08-09, 15:39
Yes - that's useful and I have corrected one or two things too.

poppybat
16-08-09, 19:45
I'm very disappointed with Ancestry lately - they've been messing about with things that used to work fine, creating new search screens etc, when I can't help thinking that they should be using the money we pay them to do things we actually want, like digitising & indexing more records!!!

It's not cheap to make the kinds of changes they've been making to interfaces etc, and I for one would have asked them to leave well alone if they'd asked me. I don't like the new census screens one little bit.

jackdaw
16-08-09, 20:55
Not only have they mucked up the census pages, but when you found them before you could attach the census page to the whole family and add new members - but that seems to have disappeared as well - please tell me I'm wrong :(:eek:

GallowayLass
16-08-09, 22:38
I've had a few run ins with the new census viewing pages and I hate it. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago and I wondered then what everybody was griping about as mine was working fine - now I know how you all feel.

The odd thing is it doesn't happen with me until I've done a few page viewings and then it suddenly swaps from previous style to this terrible new cluttered thing. Doesn't matter if I'm on old or new style search option or basic or enhanced viewer. Same thing happens after a few pages.

I wish there was a way to permanently save my search/viewing style preferences. I always choose the same old way and have even saved a start page as a favourite in IE but every time I logout and in again it's back to assuming I want the new stuff.

I've also noticed that on my pc at work which has IE6 (I can't change that) I get this annoying popup telling me I need to change my browser. I hope it doesn't mean that soon nothing will work at all! The above mentioned style moan still applies in IE6, you just can't get hide from horrible green pages.

CLUNK! (that's me falling off my soap box LOL)

16-08-09, 22:41
Jackdaw I have never been able to add the census records to more than one member of a family at a time , how do you do that ?? thanks

Mike Fisher
16-08-09, 22:45
I hope all those of you that don't like the new census image system like me have complained to them using the contact us. If not they will think we all love it

Olde Crone Holden
16-08-09, 22:50
Mike

OOOOOHHHH, I have complained, believe me.....I'll never get a discounted sub again, lol!

OC

borobabs
16-08-09, 23:03
And I complained through the let us know if you like the new view thing 4 times now about different things ,,,told them if its not broke why not leave well alone ;;

TrevorFranklin
16-08-09, 23:56
Been viewing census and adding to tree all afternoon.

Have no problem with viewing if you click on the right edge and bottom edge of the panels, they disappear leaving just the image.

I can also still 'add others' in the page to may tree, so cannot understand Jackdaw's comment

TrevorFranklin
16-08-09, 23:58
Jackdaw I have never been able to add the census records to more than one member of a family at a time , how do you do that ?? thanks

When you use the 'add to someone in your tree' button.
I opens a summary page, that if you scroll down a little, you will see a hyperlink on the left, giving you the option to add other members in the record to your tree

Cloggie
17-08-09, 07:04
I've had no problem with the new image page either. The first time it came up, I just had a quick look round at the new buttons to figure out what's where... (e.g. Image Only/View All, and Save button). I haven't lost anything; only gained new functionality and ease-of-use by having things available on the same page without having to click back and forth and wait for pages to load to view source and correction information, etc. Also, the Member Connect facility showing other people who've saved a census page has already led me to 2 new contacts. :)

Cloggie
17-08-09, 09:05

If searching doesn't bring up the village you're looking for, you could always try browsing.
I'll use the 1841 census of Crownthorpe, Norfolk as an example:
On the Ancestry home page, click on Search > Census & Voter Lists. Then choose 1841 UK Census Collection, and then 1841 England Census. Then on the search page, scroll down below the search form and click on Norfolk, then Crownthorpe. Then click on District 5 (the enumeration district for Crownthorpe), and this brings up the 1st of 3 pages for Crownthorpe. Just click on the arrow at the top right of the image to go to the next page.

Heather Positive Thinker
17-08-09, 12:59
I notice you can correct more than just the name now.

Jennie H
17-08-09, 14:34
Sarah, thank you :D:D

I have never scrolled down further than the search bit before.

Next time I won't be in such a hurry.

17-08-09, 15:05
thanks for that Trevor

jackdaw
17-08-09, 21:18
When you use the 'add to someone in your tree' button.
I opens a summary page, that if you scroll down a little, you will see a hyperlink on the left, giving you the option to add other members in the record to your tree

Hi Trevor, This has not been available on some of the census pages,
I have had to find each member of the family and add the census page to them one by one And I have several cases where only one member is found but when you look at the original there are the rest of the family:(

Katarzyna
17-08-09, 22:09

When you click on to save an image the page entitled "Review and save changes to your family tree" appears. Scroll down a bit and you will see

"Show relatives on this record". (http://javascript%3cb%3e%3c/b%3E:panelMgr.showAllRelatives%28%29;)

Click on that and all the relatives listed on the census form will be shown. Tick the ones you want. However, use the show options button under each person if necessary to change the info given to what you want to save. ie the wife's name will be given same as husbands so you can delete her married name and add her maiden name or leave it blank if not yet known. the same goes for all the other info like place of birth etc. (http://javascript%3cb%3e%3c/b%3E:panelMgr.showAllRelatives%28%29;)
when you have checked it all press "add to your tree". (http://javascript%3cb%3e%3c/b%3E:panelMgr.showAllRelatives%28%29;)
Word of warning. Sometimes if the wife's or children's info on census differs from what you already have it will assume it is a new person and you get 2 wives or 2 of the same child. If this happens you can change it in "relationships" under "edit this person" in profiles.

Bo the Bodger
18-08-09, 13:48
I've also noticed that on my pc at work which has IE6 (I can't change that) I get this annoying popup telling me I need to change my browser. I hope it doesn't mean that soon nothing will work at all! The above mentioned style moan still applies in IE6, you just can't get hide from horrible green pages.

That's happening at work with me as well. Then on occasions it will just shut IE down - usually when I'm in the middle of a search for some record that has taken me ages to find and I can't remember where it is that I found it! :o

However I still definitely have the old style format.

Rosie Knees
18-08-09, 16:02
I'm doing some trawling this afternoon and have found that they now ask 'age' rather than year of birth, and don't give a +/- option. Not as far as can see anyway. Also, the grab hand has gone.

Christine in Herts
18-08-09, 16:50
I'm doing some trawling this afternoon and have found that they now ask 'age' rather than year of birth, and don't give a +/- option. Not as far as can see anyway. Also, the grab hand has gone.

The age-v-YoB with ± usually appears if you're searching all the censuses at once. If you search on just England, say, then you usually get the YoB± option... or you did!†

Christine

† Just tried 1891, and it was true for that.

maggie_4_7
18-08-09, 17:38
OC

It gets worse doesn't it. I don't like anything they've done to the site - in their words - "to make it more user friendly" ... my ****.

It has just made it more busy, more user unfriendly and less likely to attract anyone to their site.

They don't know the first thing about design or functionality I'd like to talk to both their designing and programming team. But I expect there's only one team which is where the problem lies.

The layout is appalling, the colour scheme is even worse.