Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So my father asks me to look for details of his uncle Jack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my father asks me to look for details of his uncle Jack...

...and I'm not sure where to start.

Jack (probably John) Hall was my Grandmother's brother. I find this out for the first time this evening, having never heard of him before. In fact I know very few details about my fathers side of the family in recent decades. Before 1901 there is a Huuuuge amount of information and recent years are fine. But the first half of the 20th Century? Not a lot.

So, Jack's parents were Arthur Hall and Martha Pegg, married in Bollington, Cheshire on the 11th February 1903. At some point, the family move to Bellshill, Scotland, where my Grandmother Jane was born on 1st August 1912. At some point later, they move back down to England where they eventually end up in Salford by 1938. Probably much earlier as Gran had no trace of a Scottish accent. Jack was probably younger than Grandma, but none of us have any idea where he, or any other of my Grandma's siblings were born.

So does anybody have a clue where I should start with this?

Gordon
    Researching Rycroft, Jones and Collins(Salford), Stewart and Spiers (Auchinlech, Ayrshire), Nisbet (Lanarkshire, Westlothian), Snaddon and Hamilton (Bo'ness), Campbell, Malloy and Watson (Glasgow), Pegg (Staffs, Cheshire), Hulme and Hall (Cheshire), Wilkinshaw (Edinburgh), Jack, Grant and Mann (Inverness-shire)

Couldn't find any Hall/Pegg children on free BDM for England and Ancestry had some starting in 1942 in Lichfield and Hatfield. Mother's names aren't recorded before 1910ish.

However Scotlandspeople had 2 John Halls born in Bellshill in 1914 and 1935. Unfortunately you can't download the image to see if they're the right ones as they're less than 100 years ago.

If you can get up to Edinburgh you can see the details or if someone is going they might be able to transcribe the details. There's the appropriate forms in the downloadable forms on FTF.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks J Bee. 1914 would sound about right. Need to go to bed now, but it gives me something to go on over the weekend...

Gordon
      Researching Rycroft, Jones and Collins(Salford), Stewart and Spiers (Auchinlech, Ayrshire), Nisbet (Lanarkshire, Westlothian), Snaddon and Hamilton (Bo'ness), Campbell, Malloy and Watson (Glasgow), Pegg (Staffs, Cheshire), Hulme and Hall (Cheshire), Wilkinshaw (Edinburgh), Jack, Grant and Mann (Inverness-shire)

Comment

Might be as well to check out the 1911 English census in case they were still in England.

Comment

Working...
        X