Six bar Burma Star????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six bar Burma Star????

This isn't particularly important but is starting to annoy me!

A friend told me the other day that his grandfather was awarded the "Six Bar Burma Star" and was the only person in Britain to have received this medal.

I've googled and no such thing seems to exist.

Can any military experts suggest what else it could have been? I would imagine, from the age of my friend, that this was a WW1 medal.

OC

I'm no expert, but I think you could get more than one bar awarded on the Queen's South Africa Medal - for the Boer War.
    Vicky

Comment

Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Veterans | Medals | Burma Star

The MOD example has a single bar engraved PACIFIC.

It was a WWII medal so your friend must be mistaken.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Bars mean the medal has been awarded again. I think your friend has mis-remembered.

Comment

I don't think there was any conflict around Burma in WW1, so no campaign star at that time?

The Burma star (WW2) had 6 points - perhaps there is some confusion and a six pointed star with a bar has become a star with six bars??

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thankyou, yes, it's looking like one of those family myths......I won't tell him though, as he may think I'm a nosy disbelieving snooping friend!

EDIT - ooh, Janet, I wonder if that's it? But he surely wouldn't be the only one to have been awarded this?

OC

Comment

both my dad, who was in the Navy, and my OH's dad, who was in the Army, have been awarded the Burma Star. Its not that uncommon

Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Veterans | Medals | Burma Star

whoops, just realised this is the link that UJ posted
              Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 14-08-09, 22:07. Reason: duplicate URL
              Vicky

Comment

if you are sure he would be too old for a WWII medal, this explains about the bars you could get with the QSA

British Army Medals: Queen's South Africa Medal (QSA)
                Vicky

Comment

This site is quite informative, too:
                  Medals UK - Burma Star
                  There was one Clasp issued with this medal, which was the PACIFIC clasp. This was issued if the serviceman later qualified for the Pacific Star.
                  Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well, thankyou everyone, I am now completely baffled!

I think I will have to have a chat with my friend and get him to tell me the tale again, because so far it doesn't fit with any of the information you have kindly found for me.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                      Bars mean the medal has been awarded again.
                      That's correct for gallantry medals, but campaign medals can only be awarded once. "Clasps" may be awarded for participation in different actions or theatres. The Boer War QSA medal could have as many as 6 clasps (it might be more, but certainly 6 was possible).

As regards the Burma Star, you couldn't be awarded both the Pacific Star and Burma Star. You got whichever you qualified for first, with a clasp representing the other, worn on the ribbon. But that would be the only possible clasp.

So I agree, sounds like someone has got confused here.

Comment

I have a Palestine Medal with a clasp or bar and I am sure that this was because he did two tours in Palestine

Comment

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure it's a confused story - or I wasn't listening properly, lol.

He did say that his FATHER came home on leave from Burma in 1945 and then went back, returning home in 1947, by which time my friend had been born...13 months after the leave period ended, which caused no end of trouble.

I will get him to clarify, but I am sure he was talking about his grandfather, because he said he never knew him, but the rest of the family held him in reverence for this war medal.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                            I don't think there was any conflict around Burma in WW1, so no campaign star at that time?

The Burma star (WW2) had 6 points - perhaps there is some confusion and a six pointed star with a bar has become a star with six bars??

Jay
                            OC, my uncle was out there and his son has his medals, i think he must mean the "six points" on the Burma Star Medal as Janet has said.
                            My uncle came home in 1947 too.....Oooh, i must look to see the b year for his son:D:D
                            Jacky

Comment

OC baffled - there's a first!
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

By no means a first, UJ, I'm thinking of moving to Baffleshire.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                X