Looking fo marriage circa 1923

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking fo marriage circa 1923

I thought searching for the name Huttlestone would be easy..... wrong, every census search shows a different spelling or 'sort of' name.

I am actually looking for a marriage between an Emily Huttlestone and unknown Moon. Emily's family are from Herts but they were living in Enfield in 1911. Further complicating the matter is I cannot find a birth either, all I know is she was known Emily (and appears under that name in the census.)

They had three daughters, the middle one dying within the same quarter as she was born. Each of their births show mothers maiden name as Huttlestone. The eldest was born in 1923 in Watford. Herts. No matter what combinations I try I cannot find a match even with the thought of it being a second marriage. Emily was born circa 1895, Ponders End Enfield, according to census.

Anyone out there able to find the impossible.

Many thanks

bubblebelle
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

If it's been mistranscribed you'll never find it in the transcribed marriages. So for starters, a trawl backwards from 1923 through the quarterly indexes. And then forwards in case they married "late".
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks John....

Now ancestry have their own transcribed marriages are you still able to access the BMD results via freeBMD on there?

bbblebelle
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Emily is sometimes a variant of Amelia, I think - as EMma is of EMily.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a Florence Emily HUTTLESTONE b 1895q2 Ware 3a-493

But it looks as if she marries 1936q3 Ware 3a-3517 Leonard W Cakebread

There are 3 Florence E [name] marrying a MOON: 1918, 1920 & 1928. None of the names looks like Huttlestone - even in shape.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-08-09, 21:50.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine, I had seen that Florence E, there is a copy of the parisg record on Ancestry, the father is wron too. I think it will be a trawl through the BMD returns, interesting re Amelia too.

bubblebelle
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

There are a few records that never made the quarterly jump from local RO to GRO. For some reason Lancashire seems especially afflicted. Unfortunately, you can't get around that with most of the London Boro's because they won't do genealogy certs.

Christine

Comment

Thanks for cheering me up, Christine... reaching the provebial brick wall of my own tree, am helping a colleague with hers, now it seems I may have hit one so arly on with hers.

bubblebelle
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  Unfortunately, you can't get around that with most of the London Boro's because they won't do genealogy certs.

Christine
                  I beg to differ Christine, the majority will supply certs for family history, it's a minority that don't. Offhand i can't remember how many boroughs there are now but whatever the number there are over 50 offices which will supply certs.

--

The main problem with the assorted boroughs centres around boundary changes so an office may have early records but later ones may be with another office in a different borough.

If it's a marriage cert that's needed though it means quoting the venue (name of church or chapel etc) as each venue has a register of its own and that could mean hundreds of potential registers in some districts.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                    I beg to differ Christine, the majority will supply certs for family history, it's a minority that don't. ...
                    --
                    I'm pleased to stand corrected, Glen!

I guess it's the good-news-is-no-news syndrome: we hear about the obstructive ones, not about the helpful ones.

Christine

Comment

Could this Emily be yours - born Edmonton district, which includes Ponders End. The others may well be her siblings despite the different spelling - at a guess the registrar misheard Emily's surname.
                      Births:
                      Mar 1891 Hutterstone Emily Edmonton 3a 432

Jun 1893 Huttlestone William Alfred Edmonton 3a 453

Jun 1895 Huttlestone Henry Albert Edmonton 3a 476

Sep 1897 Huttlestone Esther Edmonton 3a 500

Dec 1899 Huttlestone George Edmonton 3a 526
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you so much Judith. Yes thats them and yet another name 'Hutterstone' Hopefully I may now find marriage.
                        Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                        X