Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flight sergeant in the RAF... help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight sergeant in the RAF... help please!

Hello everyone, I am trying to find out about a relative who was in the RAF.

My great uncle was a Flight Sergeant Frank Walker in the RAF. No: 538720.

We have his medals which include:

The 1939 - 1945 Star
    The Atlantic Star
    The Africa Star
    The Italy Star
    Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

and two others. One of which has got the turkish flag on it with a green and white ribbon. It has what looks like the olive branches around the edge and arabic writing on. On the back it has G VI R.

The other has a Lion standing on some mythical dragon type creature. It has the date 1939-1945 on the back. On the front is King George. The ribbon is red, white and blue.

So, my two qustions are:

1) What are these two extra medals?

2) How can I find out about his career? He was born in 1916 and died in 1974. He had no children. He did have at least two sisters and a brother but we do not know what happened to any of them.

Any ideas?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

There might be something useful here
    Medals UK - World War 2 Medals

France & Germany Star - is bronze and has a ribbon: blue/white/red/white/blue - all even width bands.

but I think this is the one you mean with the lion & mythical beast: 1939 - 1945 British War Medal

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-08-09, 20:45.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Tom, there´s an address in the wiki where you can apply for service records.
      The Royal Air Force - Family Tree Forum

Don´t suppose you´ve got a photo of the medals?

This link might help
      Elaine

Comment

Elaine - I've been looking in the wiki and did find the address but I couldn't see it on any of the sites or anywhere that says who can and who cannot get copies of the records.

Thanks will have a look Christine.

I will try and scan the medals Elaine.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Try this link Tom
          Service records - RAF
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine.

This is where we come to a stumbling box. His widow died in 1991. Had no children so obviously no grandchildren either. His parents are both long gone, but we don't know if any of his siblings are alive. We doubt it but cannot be sure. With a common name it won't be easy to find out.
            Secondly, where it says niece / nephew, does that mean they have to be a blood nephew / niece, as in the children of their siblings? Would my mum be able to apply on the basis of being his niece even though she was actually his wife's niece?

THis is a photo of the backs of the medals. It is the first and third from the left I am unsure of.

Comment

Here is the front.

It is the first and third from the right.

Comment

Thanks Christine.

We have now identified the third one in as The British War Medal.

:D
                Last edited by Tom Tom; 14-08-09, 21:07.

Comment

The 3rd one in from the left I agree with Christine - I think is the 1939 - 1945 British War Medal.
                  War Medal 1939?1945 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I´ll see if I can see anything for the other and check the form out again!
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - cross posts

Comment

Not sure about the kinship form Tom. I suppose technically they are looking for blood relatives - but if your mother applies and ticks the box 'niece' I would imagine they would still process your request. At the worst they would return the form and your cheque!

Can´t see that medal at the moment - I´ll have another look!
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I might give them a ring on Monday and ask them. We know his brother went to Canada but have no idea what happened to him. The two sisters were unmarried as far as we know but I cannot see one of them in the indexes

I'm logging off now but will be back later.

Thanks for all your help

Comment

Sorry Tom - no luck with the other medal.
                          Elaine

Comment

Can't see an exact match to the ribbon - nearest seems to be air efficiency medal

British Ribbon List

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Tom

I think the other medal has a flag of Pakistan on it (the flag is green and white so the ribbon fits as well) and the medal is the Pakistan Independence Medal

ODM of Pakistan: Pakistan Independence Medal
                              Jackie

Comment

Well done Night Owl -

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                X