Is this wishful thinking? ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this wishful thinking? ...

I was just tweaking my Errant Grandfather chart (where I compare the info in the various records I have for him). I'd remembered that I hadn't slotted in the info from his 1967 obituary in the Largo Sentinel, Florida.

In particular:
    Survivors incl. his widow, Mrs May Bennett of Largo, one stepson, named - (son of May), two grandchildren
    (May died in June 1980. The stepson has a very unusual name: we thought we might have caught up with him in Florida last Feb, but there was no answer on the phone, and the carefully-drafted letter was returned unopened. :( )

Do you think that they would have put step-grandchildren if they'd meant that, and that "grandchildren" really does mean direct descendants in this context?

If so, I must have some half-cousins to track down...

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
    The stepson has a very unusual name: we thought we might have caught up with him in Florida last Feb, but there was no answer on the phone, and the carefully-drafted letter was returned unopened. :(
    That's a real shame, Christine. Perhaps confirmation that he's there but doesn't want to communicate with you.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
      That's a real shame, Christine. Perhaps confirmation that he's there but doesn't want to communicate with you.
      The other possibility is that - given his likely age - he's (recently) moved into sheltered accommodation, or a residential/nursing home... or has died.

It was rather disappointing to be so geographically close (we were staying with friends a couple of miles down the road) and still not be able to make contact. Not that I wanted to intrude/invade - that wouldn't be kind.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
      X