Burial Registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burial Registers

Can anyone help a forgetful old woman, please!

Only a couple of days ago I was reading, somewhere, about the date that the names of parents and age of a child (under 21) being buried were added to the register.....Probably around or before the civil war.

Stupidly I didn't make a note of where I read it (it could have been on the internet or in a reference book) and spent last night trying to find it again without success :(

So does anyone have any idea when it was and can point me in the direction to the source of the info? Was it an Act of Parliament or Ordinance?

Many many thanks from a very frustrated
    Chris
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

The practice was certainly much, much later than Civil War, (in my experienceI)
    I'm not sure that there was ever a mandatory ruling about this? Suspect it was a recommendation, which some clergy adopted and others didn't. I think it depended too on the format of the register used.

This site may be of interest to you

Genlinks - Genealogy Help

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 14-08-09, 11:26. Reason: letter missed out
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I would agree with Janet.

In my experience, such information was at the whim of the clerk and seemed to depend on the status of the family involved, a lot of the time.

OC

Comment

My experience is that it is hit and miss. You may strike lucky, or not.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you for all your replies.

Now my understanding was the same as all yours until I read whatever it was I read.

From memory it certainly gave the impression that there was an 'official' instruction of some kind but maybe I am confusing it with something else.

Well that will teach me not to make a note of a source of information!!!!

Thanks Janet for the link...As it happens that was one of the sites I had been exploring a few days ago.

Many thanks again to you all
          Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Working...
          X