Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any one help me please.

Hi

Despite me being a member for a while I'm reasonably new to genealogy. Can anyone help me as I'm going round in ever decreasing circles on Ancestry.

I'm helping a friend search for her grandmother's brothers details.

Grandmother Maud Annie Garness 1903 Cheltenham.
    Maud's parents are Florence Louise Cooke & William Edward Garness.

I have found Florence and William on the 1901 Census with a 1 year son Jack Garness and I've located him on the birth index born 1899.

Jack joined the army in 1917 as a 17 year old. My problem is now I cannot find a marriage or death certificate. Perhaps Jack never returned from WW1. Can anyone direct me towards other websites where I can search.

Cheers Gerry

Hi Gerry,
    I cannot see a death for him on the CWGC site.
    Have you tried checking the Army records on Ancestry. I was going to, but Ancestry seems to be having a hissy fit.
    I will look if I can get in.

Comment

There are service records for Jack on Ancestry.

Comment

Gracious Susan! Ancestry is going so slow for me, that I haven't even manages to get them open yet, let alone search them! Lol!
        Think I will give up and go have a bath.

Comment

British WW1 Service Records 1914-1920 ....several pages

Name:Jack Garness
          Residence:12 Priory St Cheltenham
          Regiment:Essex
          Reg.No:21129

Will save the images for you and send them on if you PM me with an email address.

Beverley

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Macbev I have got Jack's Short Service record but I couldn't find anything else. I was hoping there was a discharge record which would tell me he survived WW1.

Cheers Gerry

Comment

Part of the records I have saved state he was demobilized 10 March 1919.

Beverley

Comment

There's a Jack Garness in Cheltenham on the 1911 census, gives his date of birth as 1900, but they are often out by a year. You'll need to buy credits to see the full census though.
                Not that it's going to help find him After WW1. There's nothing showing for immigration either.
                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Did he go aboard as the only marriage I found so far for a Jack Garness is in Cook County Illinois to a Elaine Bohett index 1930-1960. I do not have world wide cover to look further to check it might be him.
                  GWEN

Comment

There's also a younger Jack E Garness who married in 1960 in Minnesota (a free collection on Ancestry), and you'll find a Jack Garness on Facebook, too.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you every body once again :D

Bev I have pm'd you with my email addy if you wouldn't mind sending me what you've got. I'm so happy he survived the war.

Cheers Gerry

Comment

Working...
                      X