days in a month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• days in a month

I wonder if anyone could help with this query.
    I know that there were calender changes in the past.
    I have just downloaded an Old Parish Register entry from Scotlands People and the month of the marriage is listed as 31 November 1845.
    Now, not only does that seem at odds with the rhyme - 30 days hath September etc, but FTM won't accept it and rightly so.
    Am I missing something - were the months different at that date or is it just a recording error?

The handwritten script is very clear so no problems there.
    Many thanks.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Did a 'google' and found this Calendar [1845]
    and this http://archive.scotsman.com/calendar.cfm?year=1845
    Seems it might be an error unless anyone can find anything different.
    Margaret

Comment

I've seen this before occasionally and never been sure if it is an error, or whether there is something ungodly about the 1st December!

(And I have also seen: "October 31st-November" as a page heading, which a transcriber misread as 31st November, due to a bit of the LH margin being missing from the film!)

OC

Comment

Maybe it's one of those luck things (shouldn't be at church, of course, but still...).

Nov 30 is St Andrew's Day.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks to all - really strange though as the date doesn't look like an error.
          I wonder if there was some superstition about Dec 1st.Here is a transcription of the entry which is quite clear and ordinary -

"Lewis Paris and Margaret Garland both in Old Parish booked 14th and married 31st November 1845".

This couple are not even related to me - Margaret is my 4 x great grandad's 2nd wife and this is her previous marriage - but it just had me confused.
          Tomorrow I may see if I can find any more about superstitions - thanks for that, I never thought of that one (now if it had been 31 October, halloeen!!!!)

It may just be a simple error of course - but that would be too uninteresting;)
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
            I wonder if anyone could help with this query.
            I know that there were calender changes in the past.
            I have just downloaded an Old Parish Register entry from Scotlands People and the month of the marriage is listed as 31 November 1845.
            Now, not only does that seem at odds with the rhyme - 30 days hath September etc, but FTM won't accept it and rightly so.
            Am I missing something - were the months different at that date or is it just a recording error?

The handwritten script is very clear so no problems there.
            Many thanks.
            Probably a recording error, but it does show one of the failings of FTM and is a good reason to change to a better program.
            Any program that records data should be flexible enough to record the data presented to it.

On the date there is a burial in an Ossett churchyard with a headstone inscribed "...died February 31st 1898"
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks Guy - yes, most likely and error.
              On checking the calender that Margaret sent (thanks for that Margaret), the 30th November was a Sunday but I don't know if it was normal in 1845 to marry on a Sunday.
              On checking the others on the OPR, using the calender, they all seem to marry on different days of the week so no clues there.
              Thanks.
              herky

Comment

Working...
              X