Born Edinburgh c1847

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born Edinburgh c1847

I had long believed that my great great grandfather was Scottish-born, so i was delighted to see that on the 1911 census his son had declared him to have been born in Edinburgh. His name was James Stewart and his father John was a type formatter at the time of James's marriage 20 years later. So where do I go from here? I know that the Stewarts moved to Ireland when James was young.
    Last edited by Paul Barton, Special Agent; 13-08-09, 22:57.
    Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Could this your family living at 3 Clyde St, Edinburgh.
    James Stewart b c 1815, Edinburgh, printer compositor
    Margaret, wife, bc 1821, Edinburgh
    James, son, bc 1846, Ediinburgh
    Jane, dau, bc 1848, Edinburgh
    John, son bc 1850, Edinburgh
    Ed 7
    Page 19
    Line 1
    Roll 1134
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Scotlands People shows 1 entry for James Stewart born Edinburgh 1846/8 and two born St. Cuthberts. There are probably other parishes too but I've only needed those two myself.
      You may well find more info on Scotlands People in census, BMDs etc. Sorry I can't help more but I've no credits left.
      Cath.

Comment

Civil registration did not start in Scotland until 1855 so there will not be a birth cert. However, Scotland's People also have Old Parochial Registers but they are not nearly as detailed as the birth certs are.

Pat

Comment

Before going on Scotlandspeople for OPR's births and marriages - have a look on Scots Origins where you can search the IGI by counties and narrow down your choices. Scots Origins - Scottish genealogy site featuring free IGI search and Scottish Ancestry Research

Then go back to scotlandspeople where you can download the image you want.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
          X