Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• query birth cert order for 1981 needing birthdate

Hi
    Wondering if there is anyway of ordering a 1981 birth cert from gro without known birthdate I have ref nos only
    have tried and each time it comes back need birthdate

jebbo

Jebbett, Jebson, Goodman, White, Brown, Savory, Salisbury, Wheway, Hastings,
    Lenton, Perkins, Croshaw, Mallabone, Downey, Ring, Bergen, McConkey, Murphy.
    ( avatar Mum and Dad )

I've never needed a birthdate Jebbo.

Can you put up who it is and what you've found.

Scrap that........mine have been earlier ones......sorry.

Comment

Have you got the full GRO ref?
      Jess

Comment

you might find an answer in the Help or FAQs section on the GRO database

I think with recent certs it is to help prevent identity fraud, i.e. a common way of stealing an identity is to find a child death and order the corresponding birth cert and then pass the birth cert off as your own

I think you need the dob to prove you are a legitimate enquirer, i.e. if its a close rellie of yours you would know their dob and if they aren't a close rellie why do you need the cert

Comment

If the problem surrounding an overseas payment isn't too much of a problem it's probably easier to order from the local office, they usually ask for the year/district and not the exact date.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

yes Jessbowbag we have full gro ref fathers names mothers names only no certain of birthdate , was hoping it might help track down last address of mums cousins
            Jebbo

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
            Have you got the full GRO ref?

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Hi Glen
              thankyou not certain about payment options for bournemouth local office
              Jebbo

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
              If the problem surrounding an overseas payment isn't too much of a problem it's probably easier to order from the local office, they usually ask for the year/district and not the exact date.

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Looks like they are geared up for postal applications more than anything but the contact details and ordering information can be found via the link

Births, deaths, marriages

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

As per my previous post, this is what it says on the GRO website:

For births, marriages and deaths, you may apply online for any certificate if you have the full GRO index reference. In the case of events in the last 50 years you will be prompted to supply further details as you complete the online application form.

I.e. if you are trying to order a birth cert for a birth in the last 50 years you will be asked for more information. As I suspected this is to try to avoid ID fraud. Many countries have much more stringent rules than this.

Comment

Hi Glen
                    Thankyou for link off to have alook now
                    Jebbo

Looks like they are geared up for postal applications more than anything but the contact details and ordering information can be found via the link

Births, deaths, marriages

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Hi Helen
                      Yes can understand they make it more difficult to obtain more recent certs
                      which is a good thing re ID fraud ,was hoping if we had all details relating to cert fathers name mother name but not actual birth date we could still get cert
                      it makes it harder to try and track down family . Mum lost contact with some family members when she moved to OZ recently found info on one cousin who sadly died in 1999
                      so we are trying to find other cousins

Jebbo

Originally posted by Helen in Bucks View Post
                      As per my previous post, this is what it says on the GRO website:

For births, marriages and deaths, you may apply online for any certificate if you have the full GRO index reference. In the case of events in the last 50 years you will be prompted to supply further details as you complete the online application form.

I.e. if you are trying to order a birth cert for a birth in the last 50 years you will be asked for more information. As I suspected this is to try to avoid ID fraud. Many countries have much more stringent rules than this.

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

[Hi Glen
                        Just had alook at site , looks like you can not order from them either without full details .
                        Jebbo

QUOTE=Glen in Tinsel Knickers;1811264]Looks like they are geared up for postal applications more than anything but the contact details and ordering information can be found via the link

Births, deaths, marriages[/QUOTE]

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

It's a pretty standard application form to be honest, most local offices include space for exact place and date of birth simply because a lot of enquiries are from people wanting a copy of their own certificate and they can provide the details. Just because the dob field is there doesn't mean everyone will be able to give the exact date.

I sent for a copy of a recent (post 1984) cert from a local office and simply quoted the reg district, year and mmn as a check point. You could always send them an e-mail enquiry to clarify things.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Ok thanks Glen
                            Will send them an email

Jebbo
                            It's a pretty standard application form to be honest, most local offices include space for exact place and date of birth simply because a lot of enquiries are from people wanting a copy of their own certificate and they can provide the details. Just because the dob field is there doesn't mean everyone will be able to give the exact date.

I sent for a copy of a recent (post 1984) cert from a local office and simply quoted the reg district, year and mmn as a check point. You could always send them an e-mail enquiry to clarify things.

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Working...
                            X