Family tree Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family tree Software

Is there any family tree software which includes Census templates to create your own transcripts?
    Steve.
    Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

Welcome to FTF.

I would doubt there is a programme that does specifically what you want as standard.

A programme would have to be able to handle all the different formats from all the countries and incorporate the differences the census enumerators recorded as time went on (eg England 1841 census is different to the England 1881 and the England 1911 has different information again).

Multiply that by the number of countries and it would mean a huge amount of programming, use of lots of memory and unless your family tree covers dozens of countries it's doubtful anyone would use much of the potential on an individual basis.

Most programmes will have an option to record the census details in one form or another and incorporate the detail into a GEDCOM file for easy transfer to other researchers and online tree sites, usually by using the notes section or similiar depending on the actual programme used.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 12-08-09, 18:47.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Would Custodian 3 do what you want?

Margaret
      Margaret

Comment

There is a free application called Gedcom Census that is used in conjunction with Family Historian, which makes it easier to enter & attach census records/sources and census images to people in your tree. I'm not sure if that's the type of thing you're looking for?

More information about Gedcom Census (including screenshots) here: FHUG : Family Historian User Group
        The screenshot for the latest version is not very clear, but some of the screenshots of the earlier versions show where names are selected (from the list of people in your tree on Family Historian) and census details are entered. See this one for example: Gedcom Census version 5.3

The latest version looks similar, except in the latest version you can choose between UK, Ireland, USA and Canada on the main screen.

Gedcom Census is free, and Family Historian is EUR 39.95 plus tax if applicable.
        Last edited by Cloggie; 13-08-09, 06:29.
        Sarah

Comment

Legacy does census forms for Britain, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Ireland,Norge (Norway?), US Federal and US State. Apart from Britain and Ireland, they are subdivided into different census years.

However, as far as I can see, the forms are for print out only....you can't fill them in online, if that is what you wanted. Legacy is free software, but I think some of the features are found only on Legacy Deluxe, which cost me about $US30.00

Beverley

Comment

Thanks to all who have replied.

I have been using Roots Magic for the past couple of years and have been look at some of the other Family tree programs on the market, yet, I'm still very surprised that there is not full templetes of BMD and Census's within a piece of FM software or even as a bolt on as without these vitil pieces of information you would be unable to creat your tree.

I have now created templete copies in MS excel and will use these within a database.

Steve.
            Steve.
            Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

Comment

Hi Steve,

I would have thought Gedcom Census does the same thing, but maybe I'm not fully understanding what you're looking for.

The upper left quarter of this screenshot shows the information that is generated for Family Historian when using Gedcom census: FHUG : Family Historian User Group
              "Use Gedcom Census to record census entries that apply to your family. Gedcom Census will create appropriate sources, census events, occupations and births and will allow images of the census to be linked. All of this information is recorded using the Family Historian GEDCOM format and can be included in Family Historian reports, queries, trees, etc."

But of course Gedcom Census can only be used in conjunction with Family Historian.
              Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by fitzjohn1001 View Post
                I'm still very surprised that there is not full templetes of BMD and Census's within a piece of FM software or even as a bolt on as without these vitil pieces of information you would be unable to creat your tree.
                Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why?

Comment

BMD and census refs don't really need to be recorded on a template, the differences from year to year and country to country would mean using several different templates anyway which is self defeating. It seems rather pointless to use several templates to record what amount to four types of record (birth, marriage, death and census).

The households and refs can be recorded as notes or additional information depending on the software, the template really comes into its own as a source of a record and pretty much any FT programme will have that facility to one degree or another.

It is possible to create a spreadsheet with bmd and census refs but again if the records apply to several countries and a wide timeframe there end up being lots of categories.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                  X