Crimminal 2 year sentence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimminal 2 year sentence

oh my I have been looking at the crimminal records I was not looking for anyone in particular so typed in Sowter and out came the list some might be mine they where on trail for Larcany but one stood out the lady in question got 2 years in prison for trying to hide the birth of her illegitamat child it made me upset that she got that sentence

Laura

The powers that be seemed to have a very heavy hand where women were concerned. I found a man and a woman, same surname, on trial the same day for stealing firewood - he was acquitted and she got 2 years!
    Sue

Comment

If you have the name and date someone here might be able to find it in the newspapers and give you more info?

Comment

Laura where were you looking ?? some of mine are a bit dodgy ............ maybe worth a look !!

Roger

Comment

Laura

Actually, I think you'd probably get the same sentence today for concealing the birth of a child.....

OC

Comment

Hi
            I was looking on Ancestry at their criminal records Roger.
            OC you might, but as I was looking through the list some of the crimes where alot worse and the men only got a couple of months it just did not seem right. To think of the destress she was in anyway haveing the child and being by herself to do that to her as well just did not seem right she needed help not putting away.

Laura

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Actually, I think you'd probably get the same sentence today for concealing the birth of a child.....
              A friend of OH spent time in jail for this, about 1970.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think this was a crime which HAD to be treated relatively harshly, given the time.

It possibly prevented infanticide in some cases.

I do agree that women in general were more harshly punished for any sort of crime, but that was a reflection of the outrage (felt by men!) that women had proved themselves not to be the saintly passive creatures that MEN wanted them to be!

I doubt if any Victorian man (or woman, come to that) would have felt that an unmarried mother was deserving of understanding and help rather than punishment.

OC

Comment

When I got a photocopy of a page of the Gloucester Gaol Register it was very sad reading. A 13 year old girl tried along with her father and brother for stealing a pair of boots for example.

I have a gt x 3grandfather who spent time in gaol for stealing firewood from Lord Stowell. Personally I am sure my grandfather & family needed the firewood more than Lord S!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                  X