Help re Welsh Census Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help re Welsh Census Please

I've received the following from one of my American Relatives and I can't find anything that can answer her question so would be grateful if someone can help on this.

Some of my Thomas family are from Wales in the town of Llanelly. In 1861what I know to be my family is listed as part of Breconshire. Then I found what might be my family in 1871 but the Llanelly says it is in Carmarthenshire. Are these two different towns or did district lines get redrawn? Anything you know is appreciated.

The only thing I could think was, did boundaries cross when the census was taken?
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

I'm from Llanelli (Llanelly)
    im not 100% sure but i dont think they did, llanelli is to the south of carmarthenshire, breconshire mid wales, maybe they were in breckonshire in 1861 but moved to llanelli by 1871
    once again im not very experienced in this so dont take my word for it
    Last edited by scorpioleah; 11-08-09, 23:50.

Comment

Hi Geordiegirl.
      I believe there are 2 separate places called Llanelly
      The Llanelly, which is Camarthanshire is now referred to as Llanelli. Llanelly in Breckonshire is 2 miles south of Crickhowell.
      Jackie x

Comment

There are two different Llanellis. The most well-known one is in Carmarthenshire but there is another one in Breconshire. You can see them on google maps.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oh thank you, I'll pass this on to Melissa, I knew some of you would be able to answer her question.
          Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Working...
          X