The Lottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lottery

Have been trying to find the case involving the ship The Lottery on Old Bailey web site, but cant find it, it was a smuggling ship from Polperro in Cornwall, trial would have been around 1790, so would think it would be included, know some on here are very good at finding, any help would be appreciated.

I can't bring up Polperro at all, and Lottery only seems to bring up the usual meaning.

Perhaps it was dealt with more locally?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think this is it -

Browse - Central Criminal Court
      Sue

Comment

Pretty sure it was at the Old Bailey, from little have found it was a very big case, a Revenue man was shot while trying to take a smuggling boat, Tom Potter was hung for it in 1800, think actual event happened few years before as there was some problem getting a witness to the court, as he had been got out to think it was Gurnsey, by other members of the smugglers but was found and brought in to give evidence against a fellow smuggler, would like to read the case as it seems some of my ancestors are likely to have been on the boat

Comment

Sue thank you so much that is brilliant, have spent hours trying to find it

Comment

Well done, Sue.

I think that the keywords don't always work how you'd expect. (Or I just don't want to admit I failed!)

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X