Marriage Licence 1790s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Licence 1790s

I have just found the marriage licences I'm after do exist, so I want to order some.

My question is....

What are the chances of both fathers being named if the bride and groom are in theri 40s and 50s. I'm pretty sure the bride's father was still alive at the time and she was a spinster. Not sure about groom's father.

The marriage licences I have don't name fathers, whatever the age of the bride and groom. They often give ages, though, which can help in identification, and the occupation of the groom.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks Scuda..............was hoping you wouldn't say that........lol

Comment

When I've seen transcribed licenses / "allegations", the bride and gromm's fathers (or guardians) get a mention if they're under age.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

One of the marriage licences I have names both the groom's father and the bride's father.

The groom's father wrote a note to say he gave permission for his son's marriage as the son was still under age (20).

However, I have two other marriage licenses were no mention of the fathers was given.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi Libby, I have two licenses. One gives no names other than the bride and groom, the groom's occupation and parish. The other says they were married "with permission of friends", it gives no ages but I assume the couple were under age and without family. I think you just have to get them and hope for useful information. Cheers

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Comment

I think it should name the person who put up the money for the marriage bond, which may be useful.

Comment

Working...
              X