Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire help anyone??

I will not let this county beat me!!!

I have asked this before so please ignore me if you've answered. I've tried several suggestions, but am still stuck.

OH's gggg grandparents were George Naylor and Elizabeth Eyre. They married in Birstall St Peter 14th May 1795. George was from Cleckheaton parish and Elizabeth from Wakefield. They were both non-conformist.

Their children George 1796, and Elizabeth 1797 were baptised in Cleckheaton Independant Chapel.

George senior died aged 67 in 1806. His will makes no mention of his don George so I presume he died prior to 1805 (when the will was written).

I have no if George was married previously but he makes no mention of any children other than Elizabeth. Elizabeth Eyre was "Miss Eyre" in the wedding note in the newspaper. They married by licence.

So far I cannot find the licence but York University is still looking.

Can anyone suggest any other ways of going back.

I have tried searching for the people mentioned in the will but presume any parents of George would be dead as he was 67 himself.

His wife Elizabeth died in Bristol age 78 in 1829.

Apart from the marriage licence, any ideas of getting back??

Libby, Have you tried the Leeds Local Studies Centre (Email: LocalStudies@LeedsLearning.net), they have always been helpful to me. If they can't help they may be able to suggest something or point you in some direction.

Comment

Thanks John...

I've tried Wakefield Archives and Bradford Archives. They are both as intrigued as I am.
      I have a will where george leaves money to a couple of churches that don't seem to exist..........lol

Comment

I wonder if TomTom or Guy may have any ideas, I think they are in that part of the world. I think TomTom has also photographed a number of West Yorkshire churches, I wonder if he may have stumbled on anything about non-existent churches. Just a shot in the dark!

Comment

Hi

so let me get this straight the info you require are the parents names and poss dates of both George Naylor and Elizabethe Eyre?

If so have you tried contacting St Peters church in Birstall to see if anything shows up in the Official Church Registers for the marriage entry?

Or am I barking up the wrong direction...
          WendyP

Comment

I live a few miles away from York University so if there is anything I can do, just PM. They also lost the precise page of a parish register I need for my biggest brickwall. Worse still, they know they have it but they think it's been misplaced when returned to the archive!

I could be wrong but going off the top of me head, Birstall and Cleakheaton would be better covered in Leeds not York, as they're West Riding and there are only Bishop's Transcripts for that kind of area in York. The York stuff covers York itself, the Vale of York, and parts of the East and edges of the West Riding, I think. Whenever I have needed Leeds records at York, I can't find the full story as you would at Leeds (or Bradford?)

Shame they're non conformists as Yorkshire has the most detailed records in the country for the late 18thC - in the Church of England! Not sure but it could be the non conformist info is more patchy.

I think John is right - you need to be looking at Leeds or West Riding. Yorkshire was England's biggest county so although York is our county town, so to speak, a lot of the action - and now the records - happened over a wider geographical area than you get for the rest of England. If there could be anything anyone can think of at York I can go and have a look for you. Have you thought of wills? They might give you more info re. earlier generations..?

Comment

Wendy....................I have just heard back from York to say they have found the licence I'm after. They didn't think they could. So I have a thread up about what I might find on it.

Penelope.............It was Wakefield Archives that had Cleckheaton. However, although George Naylor had his children baptised (and he was buried) at Cleckheaton Indepenent Chapel, he left money to Clayton Independent Chapel.

Wakefield suggested I try Bradford, which I have and they are working on it.

The will is interesting as George leaves this money to Clayton even though he is buried at Cleckheaton, but the proviso on the money is that is goes to the minister at Clayton, but if the church "ceases to be a place of worship" the money reverts to his estate.

I actually wonder if the church ever got off the ground.

I have a very bad grasp of Yorkshire geography, I'm afraid. George Naylor lived at "Marsh House Liversedge, near Cleck Heaton"

George also mentions other family members in the will, but I cannot find any of them on the IGI or non-con regsiter.

Comment

Hi Libby,

Are you sure you have the right George and Elizabeth Naylor ?
                Are you saying George snr was born in 1739 ? (died in 1806,aged 67)

Therefore he married when he was 56 yrs old and had his 1st child at 57 ?
                I'm not disputing that this occurence didn't happen but it does seem odd.

His wife Elizabeth was born in 1751 so was 12 years younger than George... (died in Bristol aged 78)

Therefore she would have been 45 when she married and 46 when she gave birth to George jnr so it is a possibility, maybe it was a second marriage for her ?

I'm as confused as you !! Lol.

Comment

Valley.............

I'm really sure that is correct.

I have worked back. Elizabeth Eyre b 1797 married Myles Ariel in Wakefield. That's correct, all checked. Myles and Elizabeth were my OH's ggg grandparents. They lived in Bristol.

Elizabeth's parents were George Naylor and Elizabeth Eyre. That's on Myles and Elizabeth's childrens' birth certs from Dr Williams Library. Both the Naylor and Eyre name come through the generations. The Eyre crest ring came to Australia with Myles Kirkby Eyre Ariel in 1853.

I have George Naylor's will of 1805 (he died 1806).

I have the marriage note from the newspaper for George and Elizabeth's wedding.

I did wonder about second marriages, but Elizabeth was Miss at the time and George only mentions his daughter in his will. Presuming George junior died early.

Elziabeth Naylor (nee Eyre) is buried in Bristol with her daughter and son in law.

Comment

Libby. Lol !! :D

I was referring to George Naylor and Elizabeth Eyre.
                    We must have our wires crossed, you haven't mentioned any Ariels before now.
                    I'm off for a cuppa to get my brains activated... back later. ;):D

Comment

Sorry Valley...I was just taking it back for you.

It was Elizabeth (the daughter of Elizabeth and George Naylor) who married Myles Ariel.

Comment

Ok i've had my tea now and been browsing.
                        Do you have all the newspaper entries for Myles Ariel ?

I've found 6 in the Bristol Mercury,i'll post them if you want them, births,deaths and Myles second marriage to Lucretia Clarke.

Also nearly a full page of a Court of Common Pleas mentions Myles youngest daughter Agatha.

You'll probably have them but send me a PM if they're of any use to you.

Comment

I think Libby probably has all those, because there have been numerous threads about the Ariel family in the past. What were the Court of Common Pleas entries about? Agatha's divorce?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            I think Libby probably has all those, because there have been numerous threads about the Ariel family in the past. What were the Court of Common Pleas entries about? Agatha's divorce?
                            Hi Mary,
                            Yes it was about the divorce proceedings...oh well, never mind

Comment

Thanks all............yes I have had numerous threads about the Ariels.....and I don't think anyone needs reminding....lol

I've had another email from Bradford. Isn't it funny when you wait ages, then everything comes at once..

The Indepenent Chapel of Clayton mentioned in the will of George Naylor has no records at all......but they did send me a record of another Naylor being involved in a "conventicle" in a very close town.

Had to google that one.

I still think it was a Clayton Chapel that was maybe in the process of being built as George was still using Cleckheaton Chapel till his death (and after...lol)

Comment

I've just found a few references to Queenshead General Baptist Church (or chapel), Clayton, Bradford. Maybe the same one?

Queenshead - Google Books

wilkhann

Ancestor Search, Web Design

Comment

The LDS have the following records for Clayton:

Birth register transcripts, vol. 1-3, 1748-1837 Queen's Head Chapel (Clayton, Yorkshire : Baptist)

Births and burials, 1748-1837 Queen's Head Chapel (Clayton, Yorkshire : Baptist)

Births, 1805-1837 Baptist Church (Clayton, Yorkshire)

Births, baptisms, deaths and burials, 1797-1837 Independent Church (Clayton)

Church records, 1834-1925 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (Clayton, Yorkshire)

Topic details ('England, York, Clayton - Church records')

Comment

Thanks Mary.........

******wonder what man at archives is talking about ******

****slaps self for not thinking of looking there*****

Although it doesn't make a lot of difference as George wasn't using that church, just supporting it????

Makes my poor ag labs so much easier.

Comment

That Clayton isn't all that close to Liversedge (about 10 miles away). I don't suppose there was a smaller Clayton nearer to where he lived? Can't see one on the map, though. I just have a vague memory from one of your old threads that somebody mentioned another Clayton, but I may be quite wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                      X