Deciphering very old will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering very old will

I have acquired a will dating from the mid-1500s, but I can't make head nor tail of it. It may just be the script that's causing me problems, but perhaps it's the language - could it be Old English or Middle English?

I'm attaching a small section - is there anyone who could help with a translation if I send them a copy (it's only one page), please? Really I'm looking for names and relationships to help me untangle a difficult family.

Thanks, scuda

will-section.jpg
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

I could have a go at looking at it for you but I can't promise. Can you send me a PM?

Ayse

Comment

Clicking on it but it's still not coming up large enough on my screen. Can you make it any bigger?

Comment

Hi Ayse,

If you're willing to look it's best if you pm me with your email address. I don't think I can send it via a pm.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Penelope, I don't think I can make it any larger (I don't use photobucket). This is a smaller section, is that any better?

scuda

will-closeup.JPG

Comment

Nah! Must be my eyesight. Will ask eldest son if he can zoom in, later. (He is the internet brain round here).

Comment

Thanks

Hi Ayse and Penelope, thanks for your interest. Fortunately two members pmed me with offers of help, and I now have an almost complete transcript of the will. So thanks to maudarby for her initial help, and Roger in Sussex who has managed the full version (apart from the occasional mystery word!). The date the will was written isn't clear, but it was proved in 1554.

scuda

Comment

Working...
              X