Manchester and Salford Births

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester and Salford Births

I am trying to find the birth of my 2x great grandfather, Joseph Thomas Owen c1845 (he died in 1889 aged 44). I have previously purchaeed 2 certs which were incorrect so don't want to get any more. :(

I am also looking for the birth of W Worrall who was the son of James Worrall and my great grandmother Alice, formerly Humphreys, nee Owen. W Worrall was the informant on her death certificate in 1949 and she married his father in 1907. I know they had other children and have the reference for his sister, Edna in 1914. I need to check Worrall births with MMN Owen between 1907 and 1915 (no others on FreeBMD apart from Edna).

I know Manchester births are held at the Central Library but they may have been registered in Salford or Prestwich. Can anyone confirm whether these births are also held at Manchester Central Library?

If anyone is going there in the near future I would really appreciate some help to find these births.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Nudge
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Have you got joseph's marriage cert? It may hold some info? Do you know where he was born?
      Tessie

Comment

Hi Tessie
        Thanks for your response.
        Typically for me, I only gave half the story.
        Joseph Thomas was born in Manchester and his parents were John Owen and Fanny Robinson. I have his marriage to Ann Cresswell in Manchester in 1864.
        John was a cotton spinner in 1855 when his youngest son was born and a knocker up in 1867 when JT married.
        Lynne

Comment

I am also looking for the birth of W Worrall who was the son of James Worrall and my great grandmother Alice, formerly Humphreys, nee Owen. W Worrall was the informant on her death certificate in 1949 and she married his father in 1907. I know they had other children and have the reference for his sister, Edna in 1914. I need to check Worrall births with MMN Owen between 1907 and 1915 (no others on FreeBMD apart from Edna).
          The records you're after don't seem to appear yet (not transcribed, presumably) but this site may prove useful (in case you haven't thought of it already):
          Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, I have already looked and Manchester / Salford are not covered.
            Lynne

Comment

Foiled! :(

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Lol!
                Lynne

Comment

there are only two joseph owen's coming up on ancestry born 1845 lancashire, one for salford and one for manchester- are these the ones you have got?
                  tessie

Comment

Yes Tessie they are.
                    Lynne

Comment

Thought I'd check the Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project in case any relevant baptisms had been transcribed.
                      There are lots of Owen baptisms at Manchester Cathedral, but they currently only go up to 1837. It's worth checking back from time to time though, as the Lancs OPC site is updated regularly.
                      Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah I will bear that in mind.
                        Lynne

Comment

Lynne...........there isn't a register of births at the Manchester Archives. There are parish records but you would have to have the name of the church to go searching for baptisms
                          PAT

Comment

Working...
                          X